Seahorse? is it the hottest thing rgiht now?

I don't know about the hottest, they've been pretty popular for the last 5-6 years. The only difference between then and now, is that they just recently went on the the CITES list, and have now tripled in price. Before you had a choice of wild caught species(cheap), and captivebred(expensive) but much more reliable. Now captivebred is the only thing available, thus the thru the roof prices. I might add I'm glad to see them put on CITES. hth

I've noticed that the "tank raised" seahorses are now being marketed as if they weren't such a difficult to keep species. Just because they eat frozen and are hardier than the previous wild caught, doesn't make them a candidate for a mixed tank with aggressive eaters, which IMO is becoming a trend. I overheard at a LFS (no names) someone recommending a reidi for someone's 29 with a pair of clowns and a hawkfish among others. there is no way that a seahorse could survive in such a tank long-term. So in many ways the CITES listing is a good thing, but there's always a downside. At least they're not depleting wild stock anymore.

Is there a break through in technologies to keep seahorses?

I've been doing some research on them for a while now. I don't think there's a break through in technology, but I think more and more people have experience and success in raising the fry, which is good because they are used to eating frozen food. They definetely need specific species tank by themselves. I've read even fairy wrasse can stress them out. Seahorses are more demanding than other reef fishes since they need to be fed regularly but they are also very slow eater. So if you mix them with other fast fish, the other fish will finish the food before the seahorse can eat them.
They don't like strong water movement either.

Back