secrets of silicone placement

nitrofish

reefing again!
place a line of masking tape next to the seam.

Attachments

• place tape.jpg
    place tape.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 374
let harden, and you have a nice neat line

Attachments

• perfect silicone.jpg
    perfect silicone.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 354
You know...I was going to ask how to silicone...

...and now that I've made a mess of my sump I read this! :mad:

Good info for next time Jeff. Thanks :rolleyes:

Lam said:
You know...I was going to ask how to silicone...

...and now that I've made a mess of my sump I read this! :mad:

Good info for next time Jeff. Thanks :rolleyes:
Razor blade Lam....then start over. :D

I always refer to the experts when it comes to silicone placement..............
Plastic Surgeons

Lam, you can fix it by doing the other way around - tape the seal and then use a razor blade to cut the excess.

Well I figured it'll be okay since the sump is going underneath the tank. It's darn tricky getting the silicone between the 1.5" baffle placements.

Do you guys have any recommendations for that? (...for future reference) :).

My anal retentiveness is saying, "Yeah right! When you get home it's the masking tape and razor blades."

Lam, I use a short piece of 1/2" semi-rigid tubing to smooth the silicone way down in those baffle crevices. I don't bother with the masking tape in those tight spots, but I'll use Jeff's trick next time I'm doing more accesible siliconing. Looks very nice.

Nate

Lam: I had posted this on another thread a while back, this is my suggestion on how to deal with the limited space between baffles:

- the first baffle you put in place will be easy because you'll have access from both sides and you can run the silicone easily, and smooth it out with your finger
- for the other baffles here's the trick I used: run silicone where the baffle will be, and then push the baffle against it so that you get good adhesion (you'll be pushing the baffle and the silicone along the bottom and sides of the sump about 1/8 or 1/4); then, on the exposed side you'll still have access to run the silicone easily and smooth it out

Hope this helps, not sure if the explanation is very clear...

Nuno

Nuno -

HA! That's what I did, but I can guarantee it didn't come out as slick as Jeff's.

:rolleyes:

I only have silicone on one side, unless there was enough room for me to access the piece.for example the picture I posted has silicone on the oppsite side and a little bead on the side facing you. also when I put the pieces in I siliconed only 1 piece at a time, allowed that to harden and then placed another piece in. I could immagine it would be really hard to do all the baffles at once.

Back