Seeking advice for new tank...

Ok...yes I was not thinking about when the power comes back on for the pump to drain the sump...I was thinking you were asking about if the syphon just desides to break out of the blue and the pump runs the sump dry.

of course you would want a pump to restart the syphon...its just a PITA to restart a syphon by mouth anytime. This is the setup I had on my 46bow when the huricanes & storms hit...never overflowed or ran the sump dry.

Interesting... The cpr w/the starter pump is sounding more and more solid. (Well, as solid as it gets for a syphon overflow ;) ) In the end there's always that chance for catastrophe. I'll mull over adding a syphon some more...

Thanks again for letting me take up so much of all your time! ;)

-jeff

That's a darn good question Scott...

I guess the short answer is there's no compelling reason why not. Other than the logistics of moving everything out to temporary housing while the drilling is done.

My tank has a tempered bottom, according to AGA's web site. So, I'd have to go through the back or side.

If I were to go the drilling route, would it be more practical to just buy another 120 that is pre-drilled? Do the transfer and then sell the non-drilled tank afterwards. Or is this crazy talk? ;)

Actually, I just checked AGA's website again and can't find where it said the tank bottom is tempered. So, maybe it isn't... I will check that when I get home this evening. The tank was purchased about 4 years ago.

I think I suggested the second tank then sell the first tank idea, and yes it is kind of crazy talk, but would make for a lot less hassel considering that you already have the tank started.

That said, the stress of taking the tank down, drilling it, and setting up again would be minimal since the sand bed is not yet established and the livestock is just rock and two fish.

I have a drill press and a good diamond holesaw for 1 in bulkheads, but I would be pretty nervous drilling someone else's tank. If scott or someone else with a bit more of a feel for drilling glass was willing to help we could do it anytime. I'm only about 30 min away.

jk

Back