Selcon ??

Jim Tansey

BRS Member
I started using Selcon a couple of months ago, I thaw my frozen food in it for my fish and anemones using about 1 mL/day or more in my 75. My question; do many of you use it, is the stuff any good or just a waste.

Jim

Jim,

I soak nori in selcon often. My tang really benefits from it. He doesn't eat a whole lot of meats etc.. I don't use it in my meaty food preparation except to add some in from time to time with my fish mush. I also use garlic products from time to time and find that at a minimum, it stimulates feeding response in acclimating fish (ie. baby banggai's learning to take prepared foods). I really have no proof for or against the garlic product as it pertains to enhanced immunity etc.

Dave

I use Selcon and/or liquid garlic extract to thaw the frozen food... I can't really say if it has any impact on the health of the fish, and some foods (namely Hikari's) are already enriched with vitamins so the Selcon may be unneeded... but it doesn't hurt, so I'm willing to add it for any possible benefits. The garlic has a more visible effect, it attracts the fish to the food really quickly.

Nuno

I use it too. My fish are fat and healthy - I don't have any scientific proof that it is good for them, only that my fish like it. . .

Jim, I use vita-chem by Boyd. I think it is similar stuff as Selcon...usually add it to frozen food and let it soak in before feeding. I think most of my fish are considered fatties.

Jim, I use selcon too. I used to mix it in with my fish goo when I was making it, but I've recently started soaking the frozen goo in 1ml. I only use it a few times a week (I think the instructions say 2x/week). The other days I use garlic. I don't know if it helps, but I have a bunch of fatties too!

Vita chem and Selcon are different. I use both, actually I alternate between them along with garlic extract. No matter what we do we will not be able to meet nutritional needs 100%, so I figure I may as well add as much variety as I can. I also ocasionally add Kent Vitamin C additive.

-B-

i use it and notice the clownfish eggs are now a brighter color and the fry that hatch are bigger and healthier.
That sold me on it...
and the garlic really has some benefits too i think...don't have many sick fish, so somethings working.

Let me ask y'all since this is related to this thread...

Most people say to drain the packing juices in frozen foods. It it typically wasted / not taken up, and could cause alga blooms because of the nutrients therein.

With that said, when you soak your foods, do you then dump the Selcon/VitaChem/Garlic etc. into the system with the food, or do you strain it too?

Dave

Hey Dave, good question.
I have only been feeding PE mysis shrimp and goo for about a year. I soak the mysis in selcon. I have found the PE mysis to be very high quality and I don't mind adding it directly into the tank. When I used to use brine shrimp cubes and other stuff, I used to thaw it, rinse it, then put the selcon on it for a little while longer. I hated to rinse off the selcon . .

I don't drain the packing juices nor do I drain out the vitamins after soaking. I think natural juices from whatever you are using could be benefical to the filter feeders if you have any...... I also have never had an algae bloom.... (knocking on wood right now!)

Seems to me that draining it would be far more hasstle than it's worth... JMHO

I don't strain either, actually I always "rinse" the plastic cup that I use to thaw the cubes in the tank water to get all the "juices" in the tank... it's good coral/filter-feeders/etc food ;)

Nuno

Back