Setting up new (used) 54g rr corner tank

Well tank has cleared
Now to test for ammonia

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326118834.595359.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326118834.595359.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 171
looks like the tank is starting to cycle and I see green algae starting to form on the lr
attachment.php

attachment.php

I Did a 25 gallon water change today and trying to get used to how the system operates.
Noticing some spots where brown algae is appearing but it doesn't last long and is gone when my actinics are on.
Ammonia readings are about thew same and Nitrates are too low to register.

personally i would not even do water changes until the cycle is over.. sounds like things are moving right along nicely for you!

Well I read an article that talked about how bacteria lives on items and not in the water column and I wanted to 'refresh' the water.
I'll test the water tomorrow and see if it was worth the time.

Never do a water change when a tank is cycling............it will just slow things down.

Let it be, test to watch the cycle, and when the nitrates are gone...............then do a water change.

Steve

I tested today and nitrates are still zero but ammonia is now .5
I planned on waiting 6 weeks before I did anything but, you know you get the itch

attachment.php

nicely setup spreadsheet. I did that for the cycle, then stopped cause I was driving myself nuts. I also only test about once a week or week and a half. I keep my eye on my pH, but the controller tells me what that is at all times... <--lazy

cool lookin tank, cant wait to see the buildup!

jordan

so I was checking my tank today and saw the tube worms that had been growing on my lr from the first day I started this tank. I took photos but they are so small it would be difficult ti see them. I was amazed that they and a few asternia have made it this far.
just goes to show you that life can still exist in that primordial soup we call tank cycling

well not everything is a success.:(
I decided to pull the plug on my tank and start again.
I'm not happy with the connections to the drain or pump and working in tight quarters makes it difficult.
I also started the tank with tap water thinking it would cycle and no big deal but it is a big deal. I didn't connect my RO system until this week so top offs are RO and basis is tap water.

My tank has quite a bit of brown algae and I'm not that happy with that either. It's not a swamp but not anything close to what it should have resembled.
My other tank startup was quite different as I used so much more live rock and live sand that it didn't ever cycle. This tank has all dry sand and maybe 1% of lr/sand.
In my other tank I used a cannister filter so everything was a closed system and no issue like I have today.
Not everything goes as planned but I felt it was only right that I put my tail between my legs and start again.
It was a good experience and grateful for all the help along the way.

i would do my normal thing and post a wall of text begging you to not give up but.. i can see where you would be frustrated... take you time and try again not a huge deal to start over.. remember when using more dry than live it will take a little longer and you will see all sorts of weird stuff and algae along the way to a fully cycled tank .. its all part of it and will pass in time.. hope it works out for oyu .. in either event when you get ready to let 'er rip again let us know. i can not speak for everyone but i love to see a build in progress and thought you were doing a stellar job on this build..

oh I haven't given up and it would have to be a huge problem before I give up on anything!
Today, being house bound with the snow I figured today was the day I'd either break my tank or fix it.
So I drained all the water out, cleaned out the algae, removed all the sand.
Then I fixed my connections (fingers crossed) and put all the sand back.
I have already filled 10gallong of new RODI water back in and impatiently waiting for the remaining 40 gallons of RODI.
I have to keep saying RODI since I used TAP last time.
I'm going to let the tank settle out normally before I start up the pump as I don't want to use a filter sock at all.
Anyway, I'll see where this goes after all the water is in.

Back