Shipping live rock overseas??? good idea?

irishmarine

Non-member
Hi,

Im in the boston area on vacation from Ireland and im thinking of bringing some good live rock back home if its a good idea. Its extremely expensive compared to the prices here so im wondering if its worthwhile to just buy it the day im going home and pop it in a suitcase. Ive no idea how to keep it warm during the flight or what, maybe the lfs can pack it right, .....so im open to a few ideas and suggestions good or bad. Considering its $40 per kilo in Ireland !!

thanks!

I agree, get some of Marc's dry rock. You won't have to worry about shipping it wet, it is light weight, and it looks great!

I third getting Marco's rock and seeding it with a couple of pounds of good quality live rock at home.

He may be able to get some base or dry rock back in IRE fairly cheaply.

Real, honest to goodness, purple, yucky, full of life, rock is probably a little pricey there.

I've been there 4 times now and NEVER seen a fish store.....

I wonder if he could just wrap it up in wet newspaper, stick it in tupperware and pack it in a suitcase.

They have never searched my bag comming into IRE.

So get two nice pieces of live LR, keep it wet and carry it on, it'll seed the Marco just fine.

The problem is that theres been a lot of heat recently with reports coming out that there have been probing attempts by people trying to see what items will get by airport security. So you may or may not have some difficulty now in trying to bring home rock. Might want to just try to FedEx it instead.

Security won't care about rock. Just ship the Marco dry rock and put a couple lbs of liverock in plastic containers in your bags.

As long as there is no liquid you should be fine.

Yup, Simple as that.

This si exactly what i was thinking of doing. I was going to just order say 40 pound of live rock before I go back, like 48 hours beforehand, then just take the styro box it arrives in and have that as my 2nd bag of luggage. not even open it just ship it as it arrived. Its just a matter will it survive? Will it spike the water quality back in ireland? (there are 3 fish in the tank) How much should a 400 litre, (85 gallon) tank have?

Ultimately I want the live rock to filter the water and save me the hassle of annoying time consuming water changes....

thanks for all the replies so far guys...!

Also where is the VERY BEST place to buy PREMIUM ALREADY CURED live rock? PM me if you dont wish to place a name on here.

thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:
There's a guy on Talking Reef www.talkingreef.com, who is in Ireland and has started a Live Rock company there. He goes by the handle/screen name "ballabooyeah". You should try to touch bases with him when you get back.

Dave

Ultimately I want the live rock to filter the water and save me the hassle of annoying time consuming water changes....

I hate to break it to you, but you will still need to do those annoying water changes. Water changes are primarily done to replenish your tank with trace minerals that are use up from your corals and critters. The rock won't help you in that department.

Depending on the airline they may freak if the see a cardboard box with a styro box inside. If they think there is any chance of leakage of saltwater they will for sure freak.

I think there is a good chance that the rock will have a bit of a cycle that will occur in your tank when you get it home. Not sure I'd add it directly to an established tank.

Cured rock is probably your best bet, but you're still going to have to allow it to cycle after the 2 day trip back home. I would NOT just drop it in your tank with fish in it. There's bound to be some die-off.

When you get home, set up a trash can or something with saltwater and a powerhead, and put the rock in there for a couple weeks, until it tests zero for ammonia and nitrites.

Will do just that thanks guys!!!
Any idea of how much live rock my tank should have? its 400 litres or say 85 gallon?

Depends upon the porosity of the rock. Most folks go for around 1-2 lb/gallon. You could get by with less, but many people like to just have rock in there for the 'structure'...they can then perch corals on it.

Back