sick clown..ongoing problems

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
My female clownfish who I posted about a few months ago which I thought was on its deathbed recovered....kinda. For the last 2 or 3 months it just sits in my rbta. Doesn't come out for food or to swim around. At times it will lay on its side. When it does come out its navigation is off and it can't catch food. It will swim to the surface and try to eat pellets or brine but it just seems like it can't see or navigate to grab it. Its really sad since I've had it for a couple years. All my parameters are good and all my other fish are fat and happy. I don't have the heart to get rid of it but also hate seeing it suffer like this. The strange thing is I haven't seen it eat in months yet it still seems on the fat side. Any ideas?

did the fish ever have a swollen stomach ? Sounds like swim bladder disease , but they usually end up swimming upside down after that . I never had any fish that survived that one . Of course they were fresh water , but I believe its the same thing .

Any known way to cure it? Now that you mention it the stomach may look a little swollen

It ( could ) be caused by a bacterial infection in which case you would need to QT the fish and treat with appropiate meds . like metronidazole , focus , and Kanaplex But be sure you know what it is befpre starting any treatment . lots of people see a sick fish and right away hit em with copper which isn't always what is best to treat them with . i used those three meds on my hippo tang and he has never looked better . Again double check for yourself online and don't take my word alone

After some videos def looks like swimbladder disease. Any way to treat it without removing the fish? All I have is 5 gallon buckets if I need to remove it

After some videos def looks like swimbladder disease. Any way to treat it without removing the fish? All I have is 5 gallon buckets if I need to remove it
Idk about salt water fish but in my freshwater days we would give fish with swimbladder disease a frozen pea.

Sometimes it would be just easy to give that cheap fish to the store or to someone that has a holding tank.

Back