Silly Cleaning Question

I'm just curious as to how often people clean the glass on their tanks. All the full shot tank photos people post seem to have crystal clear glass, at least the front pane. I find that I have green algae that just can't be scrubbed, maybe because I don't scrub with the mag enough? Suppose I got to go in there with a credit card to get some of it cleaned up

I clean whenever its needed. :) Sorry that not a lot of help but i would guess once twice a week i give it a scrub. If im getting a lot of algae on my glass its time for a water change.

I clean with the mag-float 2-3 times a week as needed. I also use a kent scraper every 2 weeks or so. I know the green algae your talking about. I have it all over my back glass. It is very hard to get off with the mag-float but the scraper makes quick work of it.

Credit card??..thats for scraping other *STUFF* on glass or mirrors!!, put the credit card and the dollar bill down and step away from the tank!!:):p:D

I make a quick pass over the glass with the mag float daily. I think it is much easier to keep it spotless then to have to work at it to get it clean.

Credit card??..thats for scraping other *STUFF* on glass or mirrors!!, put the credit card and the dollar bill down and step away from the tank!!

LMAO:p:p

I make a quick pass over the glass with the mag float daily. I think it is much easier to keep it spotless then to have to work at it to get it clean.

Same here,Barry.
I think it helps keep coralline and the tough algae from forming.

Last edited:
I use the mag float daily as well and usually only get the grean algea you're talking about toward the top of the tank where the canopy sits and I can't get the mag float to brush. I can't see the algea but I know it's there because I usually use a scraper every other water change.

Depends at times it may take a few days in my tank for general algae to form before it is an issue.

If coraline is an issue I use the razor Mod on my mag float to clean that. By doing this it reduces the possibility of scratching the glass. The razor can clean along the sand line with digging up any sand. I also find by scraping the coraline with a razor it takes longer for it to build up, as the glass is void of any coraline or any other algae for that matter.

First, MagFloats are pretty low quality IMO, they are cheap for a reason. Upgrading to a Magnavore will make all the difference, just be careful, if you thought your MagFloat was dangerous, wait till you get a pinch from one of these bad boys! :eek: I have also used the Tunze magnets, I expected better from them, but they certainly don't stack up against a Magnavore, not even close.

Greg is right though about those blade mods, that is a tool no reefer should be without, period. Far better than any other glass cleaning implement hands down. Get one of the el-cheapo ones made from acrylic or DIY it, don't waste your money on an oceans motions unit as they require modification to work well IME. Greg had a nice DIY thread about these, but it appears that the pictures have gone missing. :confused:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25759&highlight=razor

Back