Six line wrasse appetite

Midnightpass

Non-member
I recently added a six line wrasse to help with a breakout of flatworms. The wrasse had an immediate negative impact on my pod population (to be expected ) but does not seem to take notice of the flatworms. The wrasse is so full of pods he practically waddles. So I'll make this a two part question for anyone with experience with these wrasses:

1. Will the wrasse eventually recognize the Flatworms as food;
2. Should I start a small in tank fuge to maintain my pod population? The tank was absolutely crawling with pods just days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he will build a liking for them, but it's a six line they are Evil by nature.

On the fuge he won't eliminate the POD population just keep it lower, so really up to you. A fuge will give you a larger POD population and bio diversity, no harm in adding one only up side.

I can see how they earned a rep as being evil. He's a slippery little bugger. Surprisingly my occ clowns give him a thrashing if he wanders onto their turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my six line about 7 months ago for the same reason, I have brown flat worms , He did the same thing ate the pods in the display first, did not touch the flat worms.. My system is different than yours I have a sump, So pods are still fine, just not as much in the display,The past three months I have notice he started eating the flat worms too, He swims funny looking for them on the glass..

im glad some one brought this up i have flat worms in my tank also. i bomed the tank 2 times before with flat worm exit and they still came back more than ever and i was about to get a six line to help me out .been batling them for couple months and they are relly ugly to look at all over my corals. i try to suck them out with water changes but doesnt dent the population. should i get a six line or maybe someone has a better idea id like to stay away from flatworm exit if i can thanks

you can try yellow coris wrasse or if you have big/old enough tank you can try either a dragon face or a blue line pipefish

If you had to choose a melanurus or yellow corris wrasse. I would stay away from the 6 line after owning a few. YMMV

6 line = $20 terror . yeah they are good predators of things buuuut ..... they get to be a bit agressive when food isn't readily available for them and as you have seen pods are favorite

Mystery wrasse! Beautiful fish non aggressive, peaceful fish. Pricy but worth it and they also eat flat worms.
Most other wrasses that eatflat worms are only semi reef safe because they'll eat inverts.
Pink streak is another peaceful wrasse that may eat flat worms like stated above but they're hit or miss with flat worms. Then again I think all wrasses are.

You really want to get rid of the flat worms get a blue velvet nudibranch. It's all they eat but have to be well cared for (cover power heads &stable parameters) once your flat worms are gone pass him on to another fellow with the same problem. :) http://www.aquacon.com/seaslugs.html

Mystery wrasse! Beautiful fish non aggressive, peaceful fish. Pricy but worth it and they also eat flat worms.
Most other wrasses that eatflat worms are only semi reef safe because they'll eat inverts.
Pink streak is another peaceful wrasse that may eat flat worms like stated above but they're hit or miss with flat worms. Then again I think all wrasses are.

You really want to get rid of the flat worms get a blue velvet nudibranch. It's all they eat but have to be well cared for (cover power heads &stable parameters) once your flat worms are gone pass him on to another fellow with the same problem. :) http://www.aquacon.com/seaslugs.html
Don't buy ANYTHING from that website. Look at online reviews, they are horrible.

Back