Skimmer for 12g nano

I would say what could be most effective, and it is tough in a system without a sump, is to blow the rocks off when you are doing your water changes. You can then siphon out the water with the ditrius suspended in it as much as possible.

i clean off the rocks in my displays not the rear....yet. but theres a lot back there and I feel like that why my water has so many tiny particles in it because they have no where to go.

I feed once a day, and everytime I feed them it looks like they've never been fed ever

You could try putting a sponge like filter in front of your return water, but be forwarned that they become a nitrate factory.

You can always increase you CUC. My snails and hermits are constantly picking at the rocks.

Moving your aquascape constantly will also stress out your fish.

Fish always look hungry. Everytime I come near my tank, they race back and forth looking for food.

Have you done any research on diatom outbreaks? You maybe not have what you think you have....

I have not one clue what those are lol

it just looks like there is really...really tiny particles just in my water...all of the water, ill change some water with the rest of what I have from skips and reduce feeding and see. ill do a search on the diatoms as well

I would suggest if you want to add a skimmer give the Bio-Cube skimmer a shot, it performs well for the application and gives you the added benefit of aeration.

I would also suggest you get a foam block such as this one: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/214855/product.web to place above the live rock in the filter area for the purpose of catching anything that is circulating through the tank. Make your you clean it on a regular basis though.

The more you physically disrupt the tank, the more stuff will be floating in it.

As also said when you do water changes blow your rock off before you siphon the water out, it helps.

It could be a possibility because you still have a very new system...

Try Carbon in the first chamber.

A skimmer isn't going to solve your problem. In my humble opinion in a 12G with low stock you don't have enough live stuff generating waste to need a skimmer. Water changes will help you.

You may also have micro bubbles. This will decrease over time but the water should not fall from chamber 2 to chamber 3 where the return pump is. If it does, you will get microbubbles via the return.

I use one of these in the first chamber. I emptied the filter media and just use filter floss that I change out weekly. It doesn't do too much, but the floss does get gunked up so its obviously working.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar..._oscar_enterprises_mini_micro_dive_clean.html

Try Carbon in the first chamber.

A skimmer isn't going to solve your problem. In my humble opinion in a 12G with low stock you don't have enough live stuff generating waste to need a skimmer. Water changes will help you.

You may also have micro bubbles. This will decrease over time but the water should not fall from chamber 2 to chamber 3 where the return pump is. If it does, you will get microbubbles via the return.

I use one of these in the first chamber. I emptied the filter media and just use filter floss that I change out weekly. It doesn't do too much, but the floss does get gunked up so its obviously working.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquar..._oscar_enterprises_mini_micro_dive_clean.html

So here we go. Full list of items in tank including equipment
:

NO bioballs
NO Ceramic ring
NO sponge except for in the top of the first chamber
-All was replaced with fully cured live rock
Bag of carbon in first 2 chambers on top of LR
stock pump (106gph)was replaced with a 230 gph
PC lights---50/50 day/actinic with LEDs for nght viewing with 2 fans in hood

water does not fall from one chamber to the next, there is plenty of water for it to stay consistant enough for that not to happen, plus I look at it it everyday.

water change about 5 g per week

1 yasha hase
1 pistol shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 hermit crabs
6-7 snails
several tiny hitch hiking tiny starfish
2-3 bristol worms
1 nickle sized starfish
4 brittle starfish
tons of those really small white things on the glass and back panel. Copepods I think....
All live rosk and live sand from the beginning
1 hammer coral with 2 heads
1 green star mat thing coral
several clumps of zoas
4-5 small heads of xenia

And whats the GPH of the pump/filter in the link???

Last edited:
I put a piece of filter floss over the LR that I have in the 2nd rear chamber of my BC29. I also run the BC Skimmer. I do weekly water changes. My water is crystal clear. I would try to put the filter floss over the top of your LR in the rear chamber, I would think this should help. Also, when I do a water change, I replace the filter floss, use a turkey baster on my LR, and every once in a while I will siphon the water out of my rear chambers(1&3) to clean them out. You would be surprised what will accumulate in them. Hope this helps.

Back