skimmer outside air intake

AnthonyP

Non-member
I am considering extending my skimmer intake to the outside. Probably use a 5/8" hose with some sort of screen on the end (to prevent spiders and etc) which I would taper down to the 1/4". I figured go bigger outside so the skimmer has less resistance pulling air. Does anyone have a similar set-up and have experienced slightly better constant PH? What about skimmer production? Will the skimmer production be slightly less efficient since it is working hard pulling air from 25' of line?

Thanks

You need to be careful of outside contaminates. I think there is a thread about this somewhere. I know somebody else did this and sucked in lawn chemicals or something and it caused big problems with there tank.

Greg (Delta) had his whole SPS tank go into several decline and almost got out of the hobby because of this. His neighbor sprayed his lawn or garden with chemicals and they free floated in the air and got sucked into the skimmer and into the water.

OMG really... maybe this is not a good idea at all....I might just pipe it to the upstairs of my house where the air is a little better? Thoughts on that?

You are better off venting the skimmer outside that way you are removing the CO2, it accomplishes the same thing. I have my skimmer draining into a auto shut off container and that vents outside. My PH runs at about 8.1

The like hood was small in my case, but all it takes is one time.

You are better off venting the skimmer outside that way you are removing the CO2, it accomplishes the same thing. I have my skimmer draining into a auto shut off container and that vents outside. My PH runs at about 8.1

The like hood was small in my case, but all it takes is one time.

That is a good idea

SO the waste collection container is vented outside and not the air intake? And that works just as good? I am picturing just drilling a 5 gallon bucket lid and putting a bulkhead and running it outside? Or am I way off the mark here?

I've had a chronically low PH in my basement tank for quite a while, especially with a cal reactor running. I've been reading "The Reef Aquarium" Vol 3, and it recommends (especially in basement tanks) adding a fan in the window, blowing outside. Between adding two small vans to some styrofoam insulation I had laying around, and placing it in a basement window, adding a fan across the top of my tank, and pointing a powerhead upward to increase surface agitation, my PH today went from 7.8 to 8.43 in one day. Completely on its own--no chemicals.

That is a good idea

SO the waste collection container is vented outside and not the air intake? And that works just as good? I am picturing just drilling a 5 gallon bucket lid and putting a bulkhead and running it outside? Or am I way off the mark here?

Venting the air coming out of the waste collector outside won't help if you're having an issue with elevated Co2 in the house, but it will help with reducing the humidity in the house (because it's extra moist air coming out of the skimmer). Venting air into the skimmer from outside will help if you're getting depressed PH because of high Co2 in the house (same benifit as adding ventilation in the basement as newenglandreef mentioned).

Back