Skiptons

Skipton

Hello, ladies and gents! This is the first time I have ever posted anything on this forum, so bare with me. I have been in the aquarium hobby since 2003, and have travelled as far north as Portsmouth,NH and as far south as Newport, RI in search of a quality reef shop. So far I have found that there are a few shops that are of any quality in the area. The shops are Skipton pet center and Lovely pets. These shops IMO are the best in costumer service and have high quality corals and fish. I have been a costumer of Skipton pets for many years and have purchased many quality animals and products from them. I have also grew a outstanding relationship with the a majority of the employee.

But, I do understand where you are coming from inregards to one employee. I do not want to state any names, but this person has a habit of insulting people. I do not no if it is intentionally or not. Granted he is knowledgable in the saltwater section, and can be some help time to time. He is not all bad and once you get to know him, he is actually an alright person.

As for Skipton shutting down earlier than they should, I never had a problem with it. I just show up an hour before or call ahead. Look at it this way, if you are waiting a few minutes for some help becuase the place is jammed packed with costumers, they must be doing something right!

Last edited:
thanks miguel!
unfortunately we do employ a few people who may be considered "grumpy" by sensitive people. you're absolutely right... they are wonderful, generous, very knowledgeable people... and as long as we are treated with respect, the customer reaps huge benefits. we are all hired for our exceptional abilities and our honest, straight forward service. IMO, a customer learns to appreciate that way more than the artificial, brown-nose routine of most used car salesman type pet stores.
it's funny how many people expect standard retail "the customer is always right" from good LFS (and LPS). well when there's life involved, sometimes the customer is wrong or just hasn't learned how-to yet. that's OKAY. great LF/PS inform, help, and make things right with that customer. after all, isn't this hobby all about having fun while creating beautiful, healthy environments for really cool animals?
there's a lot of work that goes into keeping skippy's a good store, from the acquiring of quality knowledge, to individualized trouble-shooting, to quarantining new livestock.
considering some of the interestingly negative traffic we get (aspiring dog fighters, betta fighters, shoplifters, "i have a ten gallon tank and i want an oscar", and other selfish people who are unwilling to learn) it's fabulous knowing there's some folks here who know and appreciate us!
wow i've done quite a bit of babbling today. that's enough of that.
well, always let us know if anything can be done to make things even better!
cheers, michelle
p.s. for a laugh, come in and ask us about the guy who came in and "made out" with a tank. or the ones who need to be reminded that fish need to eat... that's always a good one.
"my fish tank smells."
"have you done a water change lately?"
"what's a water change?"
OMG

I just ordered a new tank from Skiptons and two of their employees bent over backwards to understand my needs, and place an order. :) I live out in the metrowest where I can go to other stores, but have always enjoyed Skiptons.

Dave

PS... Michelle.. is my tank in ?

D

ah... i am currently in london at a wedding. call the store and talk to alyson... i thought i saw it in the basement.
let me know how it goes setting up! fun fun fun!
cheers, michelle

London... and you din't invite us.. you know we like European Beer!!

I'll call Aly tomorrow. You're going to force me to talk to her huh.. dang... :) I think I can manage!

Thanks,

D

went to Skiptons for first time in years yesterday on a quick lunch break and the tanks were very well stocked and clean. Steve "over packed" a couple of peppermints and emeralds since I would not be going home for 4-5hrs. Had some nice acro colonies ...if I only had the room. Will def be going back....for my black leopard:D

I usually stop at skiptons first when I'm looking for something. They are always more than willing to keep an eye out for a certian not to available something I'm looking for. I've found staff to be very helpful even when there are 15 people all wanting a fish standing in one aisle.

I've also been there twice & overherd customers talking about fighing betta's & trying to chose "the winner fish" to buy. I've seen the employee's tell them they can only buy one & once a younger employee got into a verbal argument with the customer because he said he could do what ever he wanted with his fish I the employee could not stop him. He was told if he did not put down one of the fish he'd be kicked out... the guy only walked out with one fish.

Just my personal oppinion on this part though... If you know the person's intentions are to fight the fish... why sell them any? You know they are going to come back in when it gets busy and buy the second one.

well... the answer to that question is a tough one: an unfortunate truth of the hobby is that there are ALWAYS those who are lacking in moral fiber. they come in lots of forms... there's the guy who never feeds, the guy who overfeeds and doesn't change water until all the fish die of filth, the guy who ignores illness, the guy who combines fish irresponsibly and does not aid the fish who is being beaten to death, i could go on and on and on.
and you don't ever want me to go into what i've seen people do to other pets.
the whole point is LFS can't remember EVERY poor-moral customer. how will we know if the man mentioned above won't come back much later after we've refused sale the first time? and if we royally piss him off, every person he bad-mouths us to is one fewer person we might have helped be a better, more responsible fish-keeper if they wanted to be. they will never step foot into the store to learn what it is to know a wonderful aquarium.
we skiptonauts try SO hard to teach and serve hobbyists but unfortunately there are those customers that won't learn. and in the face of such refusal to accept moral behavior sometimes it's a lesser evil to just let them be a little ignorant so they can bring in more people who might take on a little knowledge.
of course, once in a while we do meet a customer to whom we refuse sale because he absolutely doesn't cooperate. believe me, it gives me enormous pleasure to remove any customer who is endangering an animal but a business can't do that to every guy with whom we have a disagreement.
in this field of retail, there has to be a happy medium, and in this case it isn't so happy but it's necessary.
this world is karmic. have faith that those who abuse will get what's coming.:eek:
by the way, the next time you see someone being cruel, speak up and say so... the more directions an opinion is coming from, the more likely a little will absorb. i've seen customers help customers wonderfully sometimes too!
always let us know if you have any concerns.
cheers, michelle

I think that was very well put Michelle. =)

FWIW, I've been into skiptons only once, but not at all because i was disappointed in anything there, more because its a ways for me to travel. I didn't buy anything, because i only had 5 dollars in my pocket =/.

I'll be back in there before to long I'm sure though.

thanks joel! best way i could think to answer i guess.
look forward to seeing you again soon!
cheers, michelle

I went to SKiptons for the first time yesterday morning. Tanks clean, livestock looked healthy, didn't see a single casualty. Had some interesting "orangeish" acro frags and almost bought one. Lots of staples. I know where to go to pick up a halide in a hurry.

I was allowed to snoop around for about ten minutes before a very nice young woman asked if she could help at all, and I said I was just looking around, and there was no issue with that. Busy place though.

I think this is my new favorite store, especially since it is 3 minutes from work.

I went to Skiptons about 2 weeks ago for the first time for some small freshwater fish. Nobody has these little guys on the east coast except Skiptons. Great price, great customer service, excellent selection they really knew their fish. Michele did a awesome job on the planted & reef tank. Nice meet ya! :D I'll definetly be coming back soon for some corals.

I went in last night and was taken care of promptly. I was in a pinch for fish bags and Michelle was more than happy to help me out. Every time I've been in there it is busy, which IMO is a good thing.

Having worked in a pet store for years all I can say is this:

When it's close to closing time, I've always shut the lights off just before I lock the doors. Any one who works for a store will understand. Closing a pet store is not easy. My process would start 30 minutes before closing and usually last about an hour after I locked the doors. If someone comes in 10 minutes before closing to shop for corals or fish, that's a PITA. It slows EVERYTHING down.

having been to skiptons many times over the last week I will say a couple things

1) The fish ninjas are amazingly attentive, they learn you, your tank and your preferences
2) Its not the best neighborhood, so if they need to pack it up a bit before 6 to stay safe, then I encourage them to do that.
3) The prices can be found cheaper elsewhere -- but everytime I bought with a competitor I found myself wishing I was being served by the Skipton's crew.

My 2 cents, shop at skiptons, the extra money is worth the extra care.

Lee

thanks for the compliments and support guys! the crew here appreciate that you appreciate us!

:w to jack & jeff! it was great meeting you and we hope you keep coming back to hang with the skiptonauts (aka fish ninjas). the world needs more great hobbyists and i LOVE seeing more come into skippy's.

on a side note: jeff, i hope the Microrasbora erythromicron are doing well. i know they rode the bike home.

mike i believe it was? apisto? great seeing you again and i bet you had some crazy fun bagging coral! yay!:p

and i didn't know you loved us that much, lee (sniff ;))... though eventually i fear you and colin will make my ears bleed with all the discus and lion questions. but hey, that's what i'm here for! see you again soon!

Last edited:
on a side note: jeff, i hope the Microrasbora erythromicron are doing well. i know they rode the bike home.

They're doing great! I believe they're the only fish to hit 110mph on motorcycle. :D Man it was hot that day.
They fully colored up in the liverwort/moss tank and looking great. Thanks for the help again!

Back