Smelly Tank!!!!

Daragon

Non-member
Hey Everyone

I have a slight problem, MY TANK STINKS!!! I upgraded my 72 to a 125, replaced the sand bed, water parameter's are where they're suppose to be. What could make my tank smell like this? Ever take an acro out of the water and smell it, that's what my tank smells like. Please help, I can't take it anymore!! :eek: :eek:

How long ago did you move into the 125? Did you buy some more LR for the new tank? Sounds like maybe something is cycling or curing.

NateHanson said:
How long ago did you move into the 125? Did you buy some more LR for the new tank? Sounds like maybe something is cycling or curing.

I moved into it a week ago, I did move some LR from another tank I have into this one.

Moe_K said:
Are you running carbon?
How's your skimmer working?

I have a canister filter filled with carbon, now that you mention it, my skimmer hasn't been running up to pare.

So do you think I should just give it time to cycle, I don't remember my tank smelling when the 72 cycled?

I don't think it's odd for a new tank with new sand to cycle a bit even if the other stuff in there is all from an established tank.

Daragon said:
Hey Everyone

I have a slight problem, MY TANK STINKS!!! I upgraded my 72 to a 125, replaced the sand bed, water parameter's are where they're suppose to be. What could make my tank smell like this? Ever take an acro out of the water and smell it, that's what my tank smells like. Please help, I can't take it anymore!! :eek: :eek:

thats not good at all.

your new sand bed won't smell.
your exisitng live rock shouldn't smell at all.
your corals should only smell when they are OUT of the water not when they are in the water.

your skimmer should be pulling out waste. if there is minimal waste in the tank then your skimmer will only pull minimal skimmate.
adjust the riser tube so it pulls a light thin color for now, expect to empty it once a day. you can fine tune it once you determine where the smell is comming from

when you say params are good are you testing ammonia? can you post results.

how are the corals doing? sliming? polyp extension? how about flow/turnover?

where did you get thr rock? did it STINK when you put it in the tank?

are you running an existing fuge or is it new?

When we moved rays tank we had a oyster die in the fuge and it smelled horrible the entire night. ray dumped the fuge and started over, saving some of the marco. no more smell.

Scott Merrill said:
when you say params are good are you testing ammonia? can you post results.

how are the corals doing? sliming? polyp extension? how about flow/turnover?

where did you get thr rock? did it STINK when you put it in the tank?

are you running an existing fuge or is it new?

When we moved rays tank we had a oyster die in the fuge and it smelled horrible the entire night. ray dumped the fuge and started over, saving some of the marco. no more smell.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0

All corals are doing good except for a acro colony I had that RTN'd (I think) overnight.

New Fuge with new 5" sandbed.

I bought a complete 75 gallon setup (lights, LR, corals, tank, everything). This is where the LR came from, it was an established tank. The smell started before I added rock.

I have two 9.5 mag pumps powering the returns and a T4 powering the closed loop.

i also have somewhat of a smell problem, was gonna post it up but since we're talking about odor here, might as well ask here.
Everytime i feed, my tank SMELL!!!! i cant stand it. it smells for about 2 hours. I'm feeding PE mysis.

Check the stupid little things first. I forgot that I had removed some macro and stuck it in a cup near the tank. A few days later there was a horrible smell. Couldn't figure it out for a while till I found the cup. Oops.

Well, I'm going to add more carbon to my canister filter and do a 30 gal water change with NSW. Wish me luck, I don't know how much longer I can take it.

The smell is only coming from the top tank, the sump and the refugium don't smell. I was talking to joe and he suggested that it might be the acro that just died on me. I pulled it out and we'll see what happens.

Does the mell comes from the water or the tank itself?

If the water has smell, the sump and refu should smell too.

Sometime over heated plastic will give off some smell. Check the light?

dz6t said:
Does the mell comes from the water or the tank itself?

If the water has smell, the sump and refu should smell too.

Sometime over heated plastic will give off some smell. Check the light?

Yes, it comes from the tank water, you would think that the refugium and sump would smell but they don't, very strange. I took that acro out last night and I could tell a difference in a couple of hours, big difference this morning, the true test will be when I go home tonight.

Thanks Scavdog for the tip and the NSW!! ;)

Back