Smelly fish tank!!

dro0587

Non-member
Hi all, on thursdays I received a Lavender mushroom coral that I bought online. I acclimated and put it in the DT along with an orchid dottyback. I noticed the coral smelled funky when I opened the bag, but I have no clue if thats normal. Anyways come Friday my whole house smelled awful... Is my coral dead? I don't even know what its supposed to look like.. I've taken a few pictures and by the way the items came 1 day later than expected from ups due to "flight delay"
Heres a picture of what it still looks like today.. and the house still smells!
903bd2955c76e568b1d8441939b89cf8.jpg
3c03a041e34ce169443fbea49b1fd0d1.jpg

The mushrooms look stressed out. They're not dead but depending on how old your tank is , they could die. I'm referring to tank as being young since I see all the rocks very white and not covered in algae. If you have activated carbon it should get rid of some of the smell. Please post more info about the tank
Alk
Calcium

Age- 2 months
Salinity- 1.025
Alk- not tested
Calcuim- 450
PH,Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite looks ok with the API test kit

I will try some activated carbon, Any suggestions of good ones?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd probably do a water change ( wc )
First then run some carbon. Definitely get a alk test kit and the carbon is really up to you. Theirs "bulk reef supply or saltwateraquarium.com " that's what most people get their stuff from. Check out our marketplace , always a good deal on stuff there

Thanks, I will try that. As far as the coral smelling funky from the original bag it came in, is that normal? The smell hit me in the face right when I opened it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was because of being in the bag too long and starting to loose its mucus or dying. I've seen worse than yours and they survived. As long as they get the right care , they'll bounce back:D

Back