Snails are spawning. As I Recall, This Can Cause Problems. Help Me Out...

Andy V

Non-member
So my snails are spawning like crazy right now. I cannot believe the amount of stuff coming out of them. If I recall correctly, this can cause a drop in oxygen or an ammonia spike or something like that. Is that correct? I suppose the solution as in 99% of cases is a water change if so. Please let me know if I need to be concerned about anything. I have a 30 gallon tank so the relative small size worries me. Thanks for the help.

What do you mean by spawning? Do you mean eggs on glass? I used to have snails lay egg trails quite frequently in my old 34 gal and never had any noticable problems. I had 2 or 3 egg trails about the size of a quarter or half dollar at one point. Of course, something always ate them within a few days... I very rarely ever saw snail eggs live to become baby snails.

Not sure what you are referring to! What is "amount of stuff"? what kind of snails?
No worries if its egg trails its a good sign your tank is healthy.

I get those designs on my glass all the time. Eventually, they break away and you'll start to see tiny little snails on your back wall, heater, overflow box, rim of your tank, etc. I think it's a good thing.

I am guessing he means shooting clouds into the water. My astrea use to do this all the time and never caused any problems.

I am guessing he means shooting clouds into the water. My astrea use to do this all the time and never caused any problems.

Yes, they were shooting clouds into the water like clams do on occasion. It was a ton of material and something they have never done in my tank before. Interestingly, some of the heads on my very healthy torch coral RTN'd overnight. I tested all parameters and all were spot on and consistent with the levels I always keep the water at...in other words, everything is stable. Nothing got into the water and I can't really find any cause. Maybe just coincidence..

the spawning increases the amount of organic material in the tank, but good filtration already in place and skimming should take care of it.

Just make sure your skimmer is operating well and watch the tank carefully. Watch fish for any signs of stress from low oxygen levels.

I have my snails spawn all the time, they make weird designs I always check my parameters and there always one point a couple weeks later I notice a ton of snails hanging around my refugium and the front of my DT I always saw this and help good that my little inverts are happy enough to make baby and kee me front buying more snails. Just my two cents! good luck with your issues hopefully its nothing major.

Back