Snails eating my corals

Merk, thats exactly what the crabs and snails are doing....they are waiting to form a pack and then attack the coral! It really was weird to watch. As soon as I added the crabs, within minutes they were all over the coral. It was kinda spooky the way they formed a pack and waited for each other to attack. It also looks like part of the tube on my featherduster is eaten away ( part of the worm is sticking out of the bottom). I am going to put some of the crabs in their own little tank, what do I feed them as there is no algae in that tank yet? The hermit crab food I saw at the pet store all said for land crabs, what about marine crabs? Will algae sheets work?

you can feed hermit carbs marine flake. Or you can drop a piece of silverside fish or raw table shrimp in the tank.

Well I just bought Shimek's book "Marine Inverts." And under hermit crabs, he says that they are known to eat some corals!! Wow....wish I knew that BEFORE i bought all the crabs! I did some research on other websites and never saw that about hermit crabs. And from watching a little bugger actually eat a polyp, I can vouch that this can defin happen. They are now out of my tank, and the coral has fully opened and looks great! Just wanted to pass the info along.

Back