snails?

paine43

Non-member
i'm having a problem keeping snails, last week i went and bought some snails they were black turbos, 7 days later all but one is dead. it seems that they are falling off the glass and dying. i have a bunch of nass snails that do fine as well as a few margerita snails that i've had sense last summer. any idea on whats going to clean and not die?
tina

Snails aren't the most evolutionarily competent creatures. Many species die if they fall on their back. Just try various kinds and go with what works for you.

Some folks don't think algae-eating snails are very useful at all, and just use sand-bed snails like nassarius, cerith and conch.

Black turbo? The large mexican turbos and smaller cone shaped astrea turbos are typically what we find in the LFS as "turbo". Some folks get Margarita snails and other snails that are not well suited for tropical aquaria. They are typical of cooler environments. I believe some are even found in and around Alaska :O

I was thinking about the same yesterday. i bought a lot of snails two-three weeks ago, most of them are dead, they were turbos (more expensive) that can get up from their back.

That's odd, most of my snails have died to either predation or getting trapped between live rock (I moved a rock w/o realization of a snail or two behind it ;) )

That said, if anyone wants to come down to Brockton, I think I can part with 2 or 3 of my 4 Turbos now that my tank is spotless.

M.

Back