Snorkeling in Antigua

Mcubed

Just got back from Antigua and stayed at Sandals. Had a wonderful trip and hate to be back home! Food and service at the resort was great. Not much of anything to see right off the beach as far as snorkeling but the color of the water is beautiful and nice for swimming. Resort has free snorkel and SCUBA (if you are certified) trips everyday. Snorkel boat goes about a mile off shore out to a reef.

Took an Eco Tour with Adventure Antigua and we really enjoyed it. Snorkeled at 3 different locations on the island. The condition of the reefs are not great. They have really taken a hit and are pretty dead as far as coral goes. However , we did see new growth from Acropora cervicornis and A. palmata branching out and encrusting over dead coral in different areas. Lots of sea fans, sponges, porites, brain corals, etc. We were hoping for more but still had a great time.

Plenty of fish and Atlantic blue tangs were in full effect. Not many of my fish pics came out too well; they move too fast. I was limited to a point and shoot Olympus that is waterproof. I had a tiny 1.5inch (yellow) Blue Tang cupped in my hands that I wish I got a pic of. I only got freaked out one time when I came across a large group of good size squid. I was back pedalling pretty quickly as all their eyes were staring at me!

Here are a few of the pics that came out OK.

Sandal's Resort beach
IMG_2409.jpg

Hell's gate
P3030282.jpg

"Reef Ball" project on private island. Done more so to limit beach errosion.
P3030246.jpg

There was a field of these green zoas on the tops of rocks in the shallows 1-3' (Bird Island).
P3030270.jpg

Me
P3030346.jpg

P3030333.jpg

My wife. First day in the water she wasn't very happy. Being off shore on a reef with no no land in sight was a little unnerving for her. By the 3rd day she was a pro and loving it.
P3030326.jpg

great island hope you enjoyed it, thats where my family is from go there every year, its great

We had an amazing time and met some wonderful locals. Our room mini bar was always fully stocked including Wadadli beer :).

Great pics... What were you using for a camera? I want my future snorkeling trips pics to look that good :D

Thanks for sharing those pics. That is interesting that some of the corals seem to be off on their own away from everything else. Is that natural or because of damage?

Great pics... What were you using for a camera? I want my future snorkeling trips pics to look that good :D

Thanks. I was using an Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1 megapixel. It says it's shock and waterproof (not sure how deep). I just rinsed it off in fresh water after each time I had it in the ocean. No problems. It has a few different underwater settings. I didn't know which setting to use so I just took lots of pics on all the settings and hoped for the best :).

Thanks for sharing those pics. That is interesting that some of the corals seem to be off on their own away from everything else. Is that natural or because of damage?

I'm not sure exactly but it seemed to be from damage. Most acropora were regrowing over dead portions of colonies. Some other places it looked like maybe a broken frag landed there and started growing.

Back