Snow Birding

Edp251

BRS Member
Hey All,

We are happily approaching retirement sometime in a few years and this will be the first year we snowbird down on the gulf coast close to family. My inclination is that it is time to shut down. I have 3 engineering degrees and am not inclined to consider automation a solution. Instead, I have reduced my stony corals and moved back to softies.

The house will not be empty, most of the 2 months my daughter (22) and mom (77) will be here. Both are comfortable feeding and managing top off.

Curious if anyone else snowbirds and how do they care for their tank when they do?

Thanks in advance!

When I’m away for a few weeks or months, I have my wife or kids do the feeding. But I have a company come in once a week for maintenance, water change, etc.

Sounds like a great plan! I am born and raised on the gulf coast but have been up here for the last 12 years. Where in Florida are you going?

We are renting on Dauphin Island. Family lived in Pensacola for years but all gone now and the panhandle has become overcrowded for our tastes

I think the 2 months will be okay.
Have a web enable controller and a camera and you’ll be fine.
I keep trying to get rid of my tank too. But the wife won’t let me. However, she doesn’t do jack with the tank.
I think she’s afraid of what else I could spend my money on if I don’
Thanks! Really don’t want to break it down but scared of a tank crash when I am not around to pick up the pieces. We love the tank!

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 50
I know you said no automation, but at a minimum level it can sustain a reef for a long time. Between a doser or CaRx, an auto-top off that itself can be automatically topped off (I use an XP Aqua Flood guardian to top off my RODI barrels), and auto feeders (using multiple can extend the refilling interval), that pretty much completely takes care of day to day operation. Mix in an auto skimmer neck cleaner, either a drainage port or peristaltic pump to empty out a skimmer to a drain, automated filter roller, and an auto water change system and that’s pretty much all the day to day of a reef.

Back