Snow effect when dosing alk

eddie pr

Non-member
My cal is at 450 ppm my mag is 1450 ppm and my alk is at 7.4 dkh i will like to raise my alk at 9 dkh but every time i try to raised i get the snow effect ..... how can i avoid that snow effect .... i use a jebao dp4 i use brs calcium chloride and cook baking soda for alk.. so i dose 220 ml of alk.. divided on 12 hours during night time and 190 ml of cal.. during day time and 9 ml of mag ...

Are you dosing into a high flow area? I noticed when I was manually dosing it would snow a bit if it was not directly into high flow.

Well the auto doser is on sump but on my 90 gal. I have a jebao wp40 and jebao rw 4 at full power so in my display i do have more than inoff flow and when i try to corected dosing in the display still have the snow efect .. and i use red sea pro salt and do 15 to 20 gallons water change every week . (That salt is 11 dkh on alk ) and i have no clue how i can be so low on alk

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Have you checked your calcium?
If it's solidifying it might be low in the water column

Snow effect means you are over dosing. Can you check the test kits you are using are relatively accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use red sea reef fundation .. and they expire at 2019 so i ges this test kit is acurate but i know it can be a bad one fron manufacture .. im going to take water to my lfs to see what they said

Well i went to the lfs today and they test my water with seashem test kits and this are th #s
PH -8.2
NITRATE les than 1ppm
ALKALINITY 7
CALCIUM 450 ppm
So my test kit is giving me the same results but still i try to manual raice my alk this morning and i see the precipitation .. they on the lfs neither know why is happening

What's your salinity and how are you measuring it? (If it's a bit low, that would explain it)

190 ml of BRS Calcium Chloride per day??? What size is your tank? I understand this is just a very rough guide but for moderate stocked tank you would expect to use 0.2 ml/day/gal. I use 40 ml/day of BRS in my 80 gal. Are you sure your not having a Calcium snow storm?

Jim

This happens when you drip the desired amount over night? 7 to 9 is a pretty big swing to try to make up for in one dosing. If you gradually try to increase it you may have better results.

Some tanks are happy at a lower alk level as well chasing numbers isnt always the best thing to do.

Last edited:
Well i try slow for not to raise my ph .even in the first 2 ml will presipitate ..... unless that the only thing comes to my mind is that im measuring wrrong the amount of baking soda i oven and im doing it way to strong ....

This is my tank and all are frags on it
7caf408a980a732905b1f45e26b09c1a.jpg
7da58c4b86afbd7b784316646cf9ff41.jpg

Yes my measurin cup dont have the 1/4 it has 1/3 that is more than 1/4 so when it get to that point i think im making it stronger. So i ges im putting 2 and 1/3 onsted the 2 and 1/4 but not sure if the diference betwen the 1/4 and 1/3 its that big to cause the presipitation when addit to the tank water ..

See if someone's local and can test your water with a different set of tests. Also try diluting some of your alk mix into more di water and see if it makes any difference

At this time I am only talking about the CALCIUM as I don't use Baking Soda, It appears you may be dosing up to ten times what you should be, again I am referring only to Calcium.

Jim

I did tbis morning .bring some water to lfs and the readings are identical to mines .. they use seachem test kit
Alk.7
Cal.450
Ph 8.2
Nit. Les than 1ppm

Back