So how did YOUR flood happen?

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
After reading Armondo's post today about his curious cat gnawing through his RO/DI line and flooding his apartment, I'm curious about how other's floods have started.

I hope some responses here can help not only myself, but other reefers as well.

Steve

The only 2 times it has happened to me was when I had the rodi going into a 20 gallon drum and forgot about it over night. My system is in the basement, so not as bad as it could have been. I had to rip up the carpet, disassemble the wide screen, components, and surround sound 2 times within a month. That got old with my wife real quick! Good thing it was rodi and not salt water. That would've cost me a few $$. I went out and got a 55 gallon drum, and it hasn't happened since. The bigger container helped me out big time! Other than that, I'm pretty paranoid about floods/equipment failure to the point that I still "drip" alk in my 210 system via gravity feed. That's getting to be a pita though.

mm...I already posted but I'll add here too. I thought I'd be the one flooding the place with my new RO/DI But Noooo...its my boyfriend flooding the place trying to refill the drinking water jug :)

i had filter floss in my overflow box to stop the drain from slurping. the floss got filthy casue my skimmers air intake had clogged (days earlier i assume) and wasnt skimming well. so fligthy floss ended up jamming the drain. this caused the u tube to stop flowing and the tank backed up. I caught it quickly, as the water was dripping on the downstairs bedroom.

A snail clogged my durso intake, causing my display to overflow, flooding the carpeted living room (fortunately on the first floor). It happened while I was away for a weekend, and my auto-topoff kept trying to topoff the sump, so I probably flooded 80 gallons of salt water into my living room. :(

Simple solution - Added a foot of PVC pipe to the intake of my durso with lateral cuts every 1/2 inch, half way through the pipe, making a huge strainer/snail guard.

making RODI water in bathroom and fell asleep (errrr...passed out)
...woke up at 3am

condo below me got water, owner called me (he doesn't live in the unit) but he never followed up with me about it, so I guess the damage wasn't that bad

I now put the water container IN THE TUB instead of outside it

I had eggcrate clog the drain the first time. Now something else but dont know what but it seems ok now I came home from badf weekend of camping and sump was almost dry.

flooded 80 gallons of salt water into my living room.

This is what I'm most afraid of. I've flooded the basement a couple times already with the RO/DI but since it's unfinished it was no big deal. I've been lucky so far but then again I've only been playing with 20 gallons.

I know the basement sump should be safe, but the thought of seawater rushing through pipes to the basement kind of scares me.

Steve

Basement sump is not a liability in my mind. Really isolates the everyday mess and little splashes to an area where it doesn't matter.

I can't imagine any way that my plumbing to the basement sump could fail. SpaFlex is really tough stuff.

All mine have been RODI related. Once in the condo (hardwood floor :( ), and twice since the move in the basement. I wouldn't mind the spills in the basement if it weren't carpeted at the low point.

Back