Some pearls of wisdom?

mustangtjb

BRS Member
All,

Need to hear a general consensus of sorts. I have a tank (30L) that I got for free with a stand so zero complaints. However it has started a slow leak. It is one of my main frags presently. My question is has anyone ever seen a tank bust a seam and up and split and flood ? or do they generally start to leak then get worse with time?

The wheels are already in motion to get a new frag tank but I'm trying to gauge (understanding nothing is a certainty) if I have time to get the new frag tank plumb it and cycle it to get it to the point where moving the existing coral isn't a crazy complete shock to their system aka they die etc etc.

Thoughts/wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Is it a glass tank or acrylic tank? Can you see where the leak is?

Glass tank, it's old probably 15-20 years old clear adhesive. I've had it setup for at least 2 years now. I can see the general area where it's coming from but not precisely. Bottom left side.

I’ve never tried this, but it made me laugh when I saw this. This “repair” was still working for IR until he took the tank down recently. About 5 months.

I had a 40B that developed a very slow leak. It held for at least a few weeks or a month while I grabbed a used 75g to replace it. Just salt creep on bottom trim, progressed to wetness atop the bottom trim but never got to actual dripping.
Obviously you know YMMV.

If you're moving everything from your current frag tank to a new setup, you shouldn't see much of a cycle. You might even be able to steal a chunk of LR from your main tank at first to add extra established bacteria. Then move it back once the frag tank is situated.

I cant comment on if the tank will just bust or not.

But when I was woken up to a leak. Like 2 in the morning that is when I started emptying my tank 2 in the morning.

for glass tank, it is easier just to replace it. Resealing the tank not worth the effort.

But when I was woken up to a leak. Like 2 in the morning that is when I started emptying my tank 2 in the morning.
That's likely where I would be at also if it is an actual dripping leak from along the bottom.

after your new tank is plumbed and ready for water cant you just shift everything over from old tank and skip the cycle since your existing tank is already established?

I feel like the larger tanks are more likely to just burst at one time. However, I guess you never know.

I have rubbermaid bins in storage just incase my tank develops a leak. It would be a pretty ghetto set up for a while, but getting everything out sooner than later could save you a bunch of stress if the tank decided to bust a seam. Corals should be fine as long as you keep up on water changes since you wouldn’t have your sump.

Better to get a new tank than try to seal one, imo.

I feel like the larger tanks are more likely to just burst at one time. However, I guess you never know.

I have rubbermaid bins in storage just incase my tank develops a leak. It would be a pretty ghetto set up for a while, but getting everything out sooner than later could save you a bunch of stress if the tank decided to bust a seam. Corals should be fine as long as you keep up on water changes since you wouldn’t have your sump.

Better to get a new tank than try to seal one, imo.
I’ve used round beverage tubs in the past. They hold around 18 gallons and are 22” x 17” x 16”. I agree that a new tank would be safer.

All thanks so much for the feedback. I've been hemming and hawing for a bit now anyway and I saw a post else where on the forums about advanced acrylics. Decided to grab a new frag tank, similarly sized and was able to talk them down $50. Thanks again.

Back