Some Stand/Tank Pics

kk4rosie

Non-member
Here are some images of the stand and tank. What do you think?

Attachments

• 100_0460.jpg
    100_0460.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_0461.jpg
    100_0461.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_0462.jpg
    100_0462.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_0463.jpg
    100_0463.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_0464.jpg
    100_0464.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 171
and some more...

I'll be using the holes on the bottom for a closed loop. Running an Amp 4700. I was going to have 2 returns directed at the rock and then the one center pipe connected to a pvc system behind the rock sort of like multiple spray bars. How much tubing do you think I can run behind the rock? The pump will be sitting right beside the stand.

Attachments

• 100_0465.jpg
    100_0465.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0466.jpg
    100_0466.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 166
looks good .. where's the tank going , reason I ask is because of the overflow setup seems perfect for a room divider !

is the wood thing with the one way sign in the pic the new stand? If so you might have a problem. tanks with trim can't be supported on the bottom. I hope I'm reading the pics wrong.

edit: posting too slow. darn typing with one hand while holding a sleeping baby :rolleyes:

Last edited:
just make sure you support that bottom glass well so it does not crack around those holes. looks nice can't wait to see it all plumbed out and stocked

The tank is pretty much going to sit where it is then I'll be building a wall flush with it and building the room around it. The tank would be great as a room divider but I don't know where to put that right now so when I put the face wall in I'll just bring the wall in 6" to cover the overflow. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll use it as a room divider.

I have read that thread on RC... Very very scary. The tank is AGA and was a custom build. THEY drilled the holes soooo. All I can say is they better know there engineering. I don't currently have the warranty and I'm hoping I won't need it. I think the bottom was drilled then tempered. Not positive on that though. I've read all different threads on bottom supporting and I've read that the foam isn't good. But if a tank sits on it's trim and all the weight is dispersed through the perimiter that what is the harm in the plywood? It doesn't really serve a purpose except to add rigidness. The trim sits a little higher than the glass so it shouldn't touch the plywood right?

JMKEARY- what do you mean when you say "just make sure you support that bottom glass well so it does not crack around those holes" How do I do that?

All this talk about cracks is really bummin' me out...:(

Please keep the comments coming though

I am curious as well, Does this mean a tank with trim CAN'T sit on a table top like surface? (ie a piece of plywood on top of the stand) If so, what is the difference between the trim sitting on an iron stand vs. a table top? I thought it was just foam under tanks with trim and not a solid top stand, I am starting to get confused. :(

Steve

Holes in the bottom for a tank that size is asking for trouble. Do you ordered the holes drilled or AGA suggested that? They will drill holes at the bottom if asked because people do request that for reptile tanks. I have an AGA reptile tank with custom drilled hole at the bottom. They did a very nice job to drill the hole in my tank and the bottom is NOT tempered. Are you sure the bottom of your tank is tempered? If yes, it will have a sticker saying "tempered glass, do not drill".

I would ask All Glass. I believe that the trim evenly distributes the weight. If anything
touches the bottom glass, It could create a single pressure point. This may be true
for foam also. Again check with All glass. I did not know they would drill the bottom of
a tank. I might have ordered mine that way.They do it for overflows. I was referring more to the weight of the
plumbing on the bulkheads connected to the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
Call all-glass. We're all just hobbiests who don't really know what we're talking about. That doesn't stop us from giving advice ;)
Tanks with a flat botom are put together so that they need to be supported on the bottom eavenly with a flat stand and foam. tanks with trim can only touch the stand with the outer trim, so if you use a flat stand with foam the foam would cmpress on the edge. Ask all glass if hte tank will flex enough when full that it might touch the flat stand.

Theres no problem with a plywood top on the stand under a trimmed tank, as long as the bottom glass isn't touching anything. No different than a metal stand.

Alright after a very long weekend waiting to be able to call All-Glass I was finally able to call today. Apparently the glass is drilled and then tempered to strengthen. As for the plywood they say it's fine provided the glass doesnt touch it. The weight is dispersed throught the perimiter and majority being at the corners. The glass in the tank will flex accorging to them but no more than 1/8 so as long as you have that clearance between the bottom and the plywood it will be fine. I then asked about supporting the plumbing that will run the closed loop and they said not to worry about it would be fine. So I guess I'll proceed as planned...Cautiously. Thanks for all the input. I'll post more pics when I get them. If anyone has any pics of pvc support systems that they have created inside the tank for aquascaping that would be great. I'll be doing this to raise the rock off the bottom of the tank to provide more circulation.

Back