Source for pods

Bobbofin

Non-member
Received some chaeto a while back from another member with some pods in it. I could see a few scurrying around with a flashlight. I can't find any anymore. What is a good online source for pods? I've read terrible reviews about reefs2go.com. There was another website that was reported as great but I forget the name. Also does a filter sock effect the feeding of my pods? My sump and fuge has tons of sponges so I think I'm good.

Yep, they seem to be the best out there for copepods and amphipods

They were HORRIBLE for me. Ignored all my email and there is no phone number avail for them. They have a thread of apologies on r2r where everyone is currently bashing them. My order took over a month to recieve and I had to go pick up my package at the post office instead of it coming to my house. I ordered from them because of this forums recommendations but I found many more people/forums not happy with customer service. Good luck and I hope they are better for you

Do you actually need to replenish pods? What for? They should be naturally breeding in the tank if I hear correctly?

Depends, if the tank was started with just dry rock, or if you have fish that feed primarily (mandarin) on pods it's good to boost or kick start the population.

Or he is using them as food, which is why I order them

Last edited:
Do you actually need to replenish pods? What for? They should be naturally breeding in the tank if I hear correctly?

Didn't start with too many to reproduce, put sand and dry rock in tank and fuge. My wrasse and gobies love them.

I've had two good experiences with getyourpods.com. They include a wide range of larger amphipods and smaller Copepoda.

Recently, I've had great luck buying Copepoda and live phytoplankton from AlgaeBarn. Great prices and service.

I've been restocking pods every month or two and dosing live phytoplankton to keep them fed. It's worked very well.

Do I need to feed them or will they live off junk in my fuge?

There are different goals for keeping pods. You can definitely keep a population of a certain size alive feeding on detritus in your fuge.

I have a mandarin I am trying to feed, so feeding phytoplankton causes bursts of pod population growth, which trickles out of the refugium into my tank and has kept the mandarin fat and happy.

I have ordered from reef2go and algaebarn and had great experiences with both. Algaebarn for smaller pods and reef2go for larger the larger ones. Either way both are good sources.

Back