Sps dominate, considering going BB

ReefAddict

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Hey guys, last couple of days I have been doing a serious spring cleaning on my tank. All my fish, rock, Corals and sand are currently out of my tank and in tubs.

My tank turns 4 in oct and I figured It was time to replace my sandbed. I can’t believe the filth that came out of it! I have been having some algae issues as of late and after seeing what was in it I am very seriously considering go Bare Bottom. I have already bought 2 bags of live tropic Eden reeflakes. I’m considering not using them. I run an sps dominant tank and have a a ton of flow.

The main thing holding me back is my coris, male leopard and marble wrasse. Will they be ok in barebottom? Will they adapt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm... tough Choice, I tried bare bottom at school with one of the tank... the grime you sucked out is all over the glass bottom. If I had higher flow it would all be accumulating in the sump. I am looking to add sand to it soon to stop the nasty look of detritus build up. For what it is worth maybe a shallow sand bed is good with a pocket (surrounded by rock) of deep sand for your wrasses?

I’m thinking of going bare bottom if I can convince the wife it’ll look good lol

Won’t look good till the coralline covers it. Even then won’t look as good as sand. Grrrr...tough decision.

I ended up going bare bottom and I’m going to stay that way.

This is nite 2 and both nights at lights out I watch my leopard, marble and coris wrasse frantically scour the bottom glass for a place to dive under. They run their nose along the bottom moving all over the aquarium. First night after 10 mins of watching I felt pretty bad and left. I woke up the next morning and saw them just laying on the glass bottom sleeping. Pretty brutal. When I turned the rooms light on they got up and clearly wasn’t a full night sleep. Tonight after another 10 min of watching I felt really really bad.

I decided to put a bowl and some sand in the corner of the tank. Within 3 min of adding it my leopard wrasse found it and dived under.

So my plan is to get the right size bowl and I’m going to epoxy some live rock rubble so it looks natural.

My question is what material bowl would be the best choice to not leach anything into the system?

Also can one bowl accommodate more than one wrasse? I don’t have any more room to add more than one bowl.

I ended up going bare bottom and I’m going to stay that way.

This is nite 2 and both nights at lights out I watch my leopard, marble and coris wrasse frantically scour the bottom glass for a place to dive under. They run their nose along the bottom moving all over the aquarium. First night after 10 mins of watching I felt pretty bad and left. I woke up the next morning and saw them just laying on the glass bottom sleeping. Pretty brutal. When I turned the rooms light on they got up and clearly wasn’t a full night sleep. Tonight after another 10 min of watching I felt really really bad.

I decided to put a bowl and some sand in the corner of the tank. Within 3 min of adding it my leopard wrasse found it and dived under.

So my plan is to get the right size bowl and I’m going to epoxy some live rock rubble so it looks natural.

My question is what material bowl would be the best choice to not leach anything into the system?

Also can one bowl accommodate more than one wrasse? I don’t have any more room to add more than one bowl.

Just an assumption, but I would think any food grade bowl would work for you?

Just a follow up. This morning I flash-lighted around the tank and I don’t see the leopard, coris or marble. Is it possible all 3 are in that one bowl?

The leopard is probably 2” the coris 2 1/20 and the marble 1 1/2”

I guess it depends on the bowl and how well they like each other.

The bowls not big. It’s not small either. About 3” deep 5” across. I just watched during lights out. The marble wrasse was the first to dive in, followed by the leopard wrasse, followed by the coris wrasse.

I was surprised when the coris wrasse dove in it didn’t disturb the other two. The coris wrasse is the biggest.

Anyways looks like it’s gonna work out. Bare bottom with 3 sand sleeping wrasse in a bowl.

I guess if I ever need to pull any of these 3 it will be pretty easy to get them out.

I guess they like each other a lot then.

Any unusual activity on your WiFi? Maybe they have a little pay to view web feed going on?

One of my concerns of going with no sand bed is the peace of mind of rock on glass incidents. Right now, with a shallow bed and egg crate—I don't worry too much if I'm re-scaping (or an accident happens) that there would be any issues. I know there's only a small chance anything would happen … yet.

One of my concerns of going with no sand bed is the peace of mind of rock on glass incidents. Right now, with a shallow bed and egg crate—I don't worry too much if I'm re-scaping (or an accident happens) that there would be any issues. I know there's only a small chance anything would happen … yet.

I think this is typically an unrealistic concern. I believe you would be very surprised at what even the mass produced tank bottoms can withstand from impact.

go BB who cares, fish will adapt. they are easier to clean and you can run powerheads on the bottom.

This is a bit like saying, "let's put people in space with no space suits, they will adapt."

If Reef Addict didn't add the bowl of sand, the wrasse would probably be dead by now.

I’ve seen a few B.B. tanks with wrasses and no sand. Is it crewel ? Maybe , but so is putting a fish in a box for our entertainment.

I’ve seen a few B.B. tanks with wrasses and no sand. Is it crewel ? Maybe , but so is putting a fish in a box for our entertainment.

He specifically asked about a Leopard Wrasse, which is nearly certain to die in short order without sand. I have a BB with Fairy Wrasses...that isn't a problem.

And I completely disagree that the hobby is inherently cruel. These fish don't live in comfortable homes with supermarkets on every corner. Life is a constant life and death struggle. You are anthropomorphizing fish. I would argue that competent reefers actually improve the lives of these animals.

So you improve it by putting it in a box with fake food and fake light?
Don’t think that’s improving, I believe we do it because we’re curious beings by nature and want to learn more about the unknown.
But we can argue both points endlessly without either winning.

Back