Sps dominate, considering going BB

I mean... What are the odds of say a clownfish living 20 years in the ocean? Seems like a competent keeper can provide a better quality of life than the ocean in some cases??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

A prisoner can live in solitary confinement for 40 years. I don’t think it’s better than being free and dying in 15. :p

So you improve it by putting it in a box with fake food and fake light?
Don’t think that’s improving, I believe we do it because we’re curious beings by nature and want to learn more about the unknown.
But we can argue both points endlessly without either winning.

Again, you are putting human traits onto a fish. And solitary confinement has been scientifically proven to be akin to torture if done long enough, so the comparison is a little ridiculous .

But I am curious...in your own words, you said the hobby is cruel. If you actually believe that, why would you participate in the hobby? Why would someone intentionally be cruel to a living animal for their own entertainment? Have you actually though about this?

I never said I believe it. I said if one is cruel so is the other. I’ve had my share of deaths in my tanks over the years and most likely will continue. Something’s can’t be prevented. I don’t know about you but I’m pretty confident I’m part of the animal kingdom not above it. ( yes I do crawl on all fours for a living) :cool:

Sooo getting back on topic =)

I'm currently taking most of my sand out. I had a deep sandbed of 4", mostly because I kept jawfish. I am mainly focusing on SPS corals again and this past weekend I decided to vacuum the sandbed a bit and holy crap, the water came out looking like mud.

I decided to go sort of BB. I'll be leaving about 1/2" of sand just to give the critters a bit of sand. I do have a mccosker wrasse so he also came to mind when deciding about leaving some sand.

I tested my vortech at double the speed that I normally keep it and the sand never kicked up and it was some crazy flow.

Sooo getting back on topic =)

I'm currently taking most of my sand out. I had a deep sandbed of 4", mostly because I kept jawfish. I am mainly focusing on SPS corals again and this past weekend I decided to vacuum the sandbed a bit and holy crap, the water came out looking like mud.

I decided to go sort of BB. I'll be leaving about 1/2" of sand just to give the critters a bit of sand. I do have a mccosker wrasse so he also came to mind when deciding about leaving some sand.

I tested my vortech at double the speed that I normally keep it and the sand never kicked up and it was some crazy flow.

Same here when I sucked out the sand the disgustingness that came out made the decision for me to go BB. Note I was maintaining my sandbed with monthly vacuums but hidden areas and by rocks just collected this junk.

Been bare bottom now 2 weeks. The best thing I ever did. Sps tank was able to increase the flow. Now got a powerhead at the bottom back of tank. It’s really the best. Did my first water change this weekend. So easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also my 3 sand dwelling wrasse seem totally happy and ever night just before lights out they one by one go into the sand in the bowl. All is working out.

Same here when I sucked out the sand the disgustingness that came out made the decision for me to go BB. Note I was maintaining my sandbed with monthly vacuums but hidden areas and by rocks just collected this junk.

Been bare bottom now 2 weeks. The best thing I ever did. Sps tank was able to increase the flow. Now got a powerhead at the bottom back of tank. It’s really the best. Did my first water change this weekend. So easy.

Hmmm.. Got me thinking yo!

Back