sps keepers running bare bottom - close to 50%

Armando

v 4.0
i polled the reef central sps keepers forum, it looks like almost 50% of members in that forum run bare bottom tanks:

SB 5" or deeper - 16 - 13.01%
SB up to 5" - 48 - 39.02%
Bare Bottom - 59 - 47.97%

I have yet to go there.
Personally, I like the ethstetics of sand and I am some-what of a proponent of its alleged benefits. Too be honest BB reefkeeping seems like more work IMO.

More flow = bigger pump = more power
Siphoning detritus every couple days
etc etc etc.

Bottom line: There is more than one way to skin a cat. I've seen stellar BB as well as SB/DSB reefs and Ive seen crappy BB as well as SB/DSB reefs. Generally it comes down to stability and maintenance IME.

Cool stat tho... It will be interesting what is popular in coming years. Plenum wasting? :)

There is a guy on RC that set up a "litter box" foull of sand for his leopard wrasse...

It worked too!

Well not sure what I am going to do with the big tank..I am leaning more torwards SB.

The reason is because I have a DSB right now and I am starting to see alot of red algae.
Dont know why. I have about 32.5x T/O. I also do a 20 gallon water change everyweek. All my test are perfect. Halides are on for 8 hours acts are on for 12 hours.(New lights too)

Just dont get it.

I also like sand. There are a lot of fish that I like to keep that feel much more comfortable with a sand layer. I don't think it's all that hard to occassionally siphon a section of the sand bed out and replace with fresh sand if you are really worried about nutrient accumulation. Just remember not to let your corals grow so much that you cannot reach the botto of your tank. :eek:

It appears that they both work well, and both seem to have a "backed up" history, so my opinion is that it's either aesthetics and or the fish/corals you want to keep.

The jury is not out yet totally out on BB. Look how long it took for people who switched to a DSB to find out it was bad!!!! I like a happy medium. Thin layer of sand & yes Greg.....remove some out from time to time & replace to make the pot fresh!!!.

I am doing shallow sand bed ~2" in my 240 with a deep sandbed ~4-5 inches in my refugium...Just don't like the look of the BB, but it seems like there is success and failure on both sides of the fence on this issue.

There isn't any real proof that dsb is bad.. for every "crash" there are 10 year success stories. Alot of it is that people neglect their tanks, brag about lack of water changes, and it bites them in the butt later. It's the "it makes your tank crash" flavor of the month.

Bare bottom tanks were successful before sand was in vogue. It works fine. Ugly. Refugiums even date back to the Bare Bottom era. There is more than one way to skin a cat.. do it how you feel comfortable, and if your husbandry is good you'll be fine. A top notch aquarist with little equipment can do wonders.. a poor or average aquarist with all the high end stuff and current "best method" often fails, and when they do, they latch on to something to blame. The internet being what it is.. bandwagons ensue. In a year or 2, you'll see plenty of people with BB tanks fail, and blame something else. Nature of the hobby. I'm not trying to sound harsh, that's just my experience from years of watching the hobby.

I can't argue with ya. I'm just not into the new flavor or bringing up an old hero & calling it a new flavor.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Remember when dutch systems were popular and everyone had caleurpa farms and loved it? Now most of us hate caleurpa. If someone wants to do BB and likes the look, more power too them, it can certainly be a sound methodology.

I've never really seen any bare bottoms. I assume they become covered in coraline?
In my tanks, I've always prefered the look of coraline over clean glass. If this is the case, I guess I could live with a bare bottom too. But the last reason I'd convert over to BB would be because I thought it would somehow benefit my reef.

Back