sps light acclimating

sutton6989

BRS Member
wondering how different people acclimate there new sps frags into there tank? what kind of lighting, placement of frag in tank on day one, how many days until moving up the rock work? just getting a feel for what people do

I place them on the sandbed for a couple days then slowly work up the rocks to the final placement.within a week-week and a half they are where i want them.I take into account what lighting they were under prior to me getting them.

I place them on the sandbed for a couple days then slowly work up the rocks to the final placement.within a week-week and a half they are where i want them.I take into account what lighting they were under prior to me getting them.

+1 What he said

I always put them on the sandbed. Then I procrastinate and forget to move them for weeks. For corals where you're not sure what conditions they want, it's actually nice leaving them in one spot for a while to see how they react. You can use that to judge where you ultimately want to keep it.

I always put them on the sandbed. Then I procrastinate and forget to move them for weeks. For corals where you're not sure what conditions they want, it's actually nice leaving them in one spot for a while to see how they react. You can use that to judge where you ultimately want to keep it.

Yeah,I've done the same with frags,and even lost a few that got buried some in the sand or carried off by my Hippo redecorating.
I've found too many frags in a frogspawn or dropped behind the rock wall.When I put them on the rock now I use some 2 part epoxi just for a temporary hold.Then later if I move them higher or decide that's the perminent place I use both epoxy and super glue to hold it down.

Personally,I have never had any luck doing that.
I super glue the frag onto a frag plug or piece of live rock out of water.Then super glue the and epoxi the LR piece onto the rock.

Ive never acclimated any sps to lights or water parameters besides temp.

I've had less than 5 frags stn on me in the 2 years I've been dedicated to sps. Three stn'd because my Alk test was junk and reading 9 when it was really less than 5 and one or two others stn'd I believe because of coming from a lower nutrient system and they were quite sensitive.

Never had any bleaching either.

My only devastating losses were from moving colony's that had established themselves where I put them.

Well what kind of lights do you have? You definitely wouldn't find me putting a new recruit directly under my LEDs at the top of the tank. Poor thing would get vaporized. LOL.

Back