Stand modifications... need input please...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
So I'm trying to figure out how to fit a sump under my stupid AGA 55 gallon stand :mad: which is a pain. I was thinking of doing a custom acrylic sump until I realized how much that would cost :eek: So I'm thinking of modifying the rear middle support and taking it out because it actually is inside the footprint of the bottom preventing me by 1/8" from putting a 10 gallon tank under there. In the first pic the yellow pieces would actually rest on the outside part of the stand where they would actually (I think) increase the structural stability. (A on the 2 real pics of the inside of the stand pics but would also do it on the other side of the center brace.

As you can see labeled B that the center brace actually sticks out about 1/4" As mentioned I would put two supports on the part A which IMO actually would support the tank better because if you look at the pic of the top there is a piece that rests on the top of the center braces but they are all stapled (C on the top pic) to the main pieces that actually take the brunt of the weight.

So do you think the stand would still be structurally sound after these modifications? I know there are some people that don't even have the rear center brace on their 55 gallon AGA stand (pillowfish)

Thanks for any input!

I put the pics that I forgot to attach to this post in the next one... silly me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
dooooooooooooooooh... It would prob help if I posted the pics I was talking about...

Attachments

• sump stuff.jpg
    sump stuff.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 210
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 216
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 217
It looks like the middle support is holding up the center brace for underneath the tank. Just my $.02 tho.

just install a 2"x4" one on each corner of the stand and twoo across the top on edge so that the 3"1/2 is fasing you and that will carry the weight with no problem. i can post a picture if you need to see what i am talking about, its just lije posting a door way frame in a house ecsept just using 2x4 in stead of 2x8.

I agree with Aquadan88, looks like that middle support is supporting your center brace. If you take it out and add two others like in your picture make sure you add a cross piece between the two to support this center brace other wise youll get cracks and leaks from the weight.

That center brace is held on with staples and attached to the middle support at the top of that bit of wood. Brace the tank from the outside and cut off the middle support just below the center brace. If you want overkill, replace the center cross brace with a 2x4 and the upright with another 1x on the outside.
M.

Thanks for the input everybody.

The center brace that runs horizontally actually doesn't rest on the tank and def doesn't look like it does much. I forgot to mention I would put a 2x4 connected to the two new center braces to attach that horizontal brace and keep it in place.

its only a 55 you should be fine whatever you do

i made a stand for my 55 a few years ago 5+ before i knew any better its just a few pices of pipe in a x shape for the 2 sides and a 1x4 on flat the tank is supported on the sides only:eek: i know i know but its been set up for 5 years and not a problem

i agree i think most of the weight sits on the out side conners i wood still run a two by 4 and put 45 brackets on each side

Back