Still dealing with cyano trouble, I think?

This might sound off topic at first but keep reading. I have been following a thread on RC for some time now that deals with a new product that is comming out of Holland. Basically, it's a new form of carbon dosing using a polymer pellet that you place in a reactor. Instead of dosing vodka or other products like ZEO, the food for the bacteria is locked up in the pellets and is not dispersed in the water. The bacteria grow on the pellets, instead of throughout your tank and reduce your nitrate and phosphate levels. At the Brass Conference , Eric Bornman said he was not a fan of carbon dosing because it increased bacterial growth on the surface of corals. This new product eliminates that possibility, yet provides all the benifits of a bacteria driven system. It is supposedly very effective in reducing cyano, along with the nutients in the water that fuel algae growth. This is very new, but I suspect it will be the next big thing in reefkeeping. Here is the link http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694529
You can get the pellets at Premium Aquatics. I plan on trying this soon myself as I'm tired of daily dosings of vodka and Zeo products.

Thanks Paul, I am not sure what direction I am going right now, because I am not totally sure what I am dealing will. I have been cutting down on the Bio-Fuel, because I dont really understand the science behind it, and dont like using something I dont totally understand. I understand the theory, but not how to maintain it in the long run. Keep us posted on how it works. Thanks for the help.
Derek

Go back to basics there is no quick fix. dosing and media will not solve your problem ever. Start with big water changes weekly then work down to smaller ones as thing improve. if they don't improve over a month or 2 think about removing and replacing your sand bed.

Also look at that sand-bed. many time I see "I have been using that sand no problem". Then a thread about how they can't get rid of their cyano weeks later. I don't know you tell me if it is their issue. Why not start with a good source and work from there. Other wise that 50 bucks saved in sand could be used up with chemicals and media in short order.

Diligence in water changes and husbandry will fix your situation. In all my years in the hobby this one issue has never changed, no one ever came up with the cure all and still to this day everyone keeps looking.

When my tank looks like crap there is only one reason...me slacking, end of discussion.
Less water changes = algea, cyano and possibly Dino's and not to forget dying corals. Water changes are the number one thing you can do to reduce nutrients. Skimmers only remove so much. Husbandry a lost word in this hobby.

I can point out the tanks in the group and people who diligently keep them and it is not me. But I am honest about it, and it shows in my tank as a result.

My .02

Thanks Delta, I think that is my trouble. I am waiting for a gate valve to come in for my skimmer. I have been doing water changes, and things are looking better, but didnt know if I needed to keep lights out, or if I should be doing something. I dont have anything forming on my frag racks anymore. What I am getting is more red, and velvety. What I HAD was more brown and stringy. I dont know if this is something different, or a different phase. The tank looks good otherwise, except for my Duncans, and Dendros not opening. I will keep up what I am doing and I am hoping I can win this. While doing this should I still cut back on lights? It seems I get it worse with my PC on, as oppose to the Halides. I dont know if it just my imagination or if thats whats happening. I will try to post some pictures later to what it looked/looks like. Once again Merry Christmas to all.
Derek

What you do with your lights should come down to how your corals are doing. If the algae is killing your corals then think about reducing your lighting cycle. If not why stress out your corals.

If you had a serious Dino's issues and your inverts and corals were dying fast I would definitely consider it.

You can beat this, that is not really a question if you are diligent about it.

I think things are starting to look up. The slime is getting smaller, and not showing up everywhere. My duncans opened back up the other night, and tonight my dendros opened. I havnt seen them in about 2-3weeks. I hope this is starting to move in the right direction. Thanks to all who have given advice/listen to me whine.
Derek

I tried everyting and was dealing with the red junk forever. I gave in got the red slime remover. Shut down the skimmer and dosed a little less than the suggested. Then according to directions I followed up with another dose. Did some water changees, got a canister filter for house cleaning and put two korallia pumps in to bring up the water flow. Its been a year and no Cyano.

I think things are starting to look up. The slime is getting smaller, and not showing up everywhere. My duncans opened back up the other night, and tonight my dendros opened. I havnt seen them in about 2-3weeks. I hope this is starting to move in the right direction. Thanks to all who have given advice/listen to me whine.
Derek

This is great news D, keep fighting the good fight. You'd better feed those dendros, stat.

Back