STiTCH87's 40g Breeder Starfire Build

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
First thing's first, I must complain about how completely ridiculous it is that BRS has such a small file size limit to posting photos...

...Anyways...

Finally got in my 40g tank last Monday. Here's the specifics:

40 Gallon Breeder (50 Tall from GlassCages.com) 36x18x16 (Undrilled)
GlassCages Solid Oak Stand W/ Front Door
G****-H****.com 700GPH overflow kit with return kit.

Didn't take any photos at the very beginning...
But I already drilled both holes (VERY easy and not as scary as I had expected at all!)
And also painted the back of the tank black with Kryolan Fusion which looks extremely professional.

Here are photos of it in it's current state:
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0008.jpg

Next step is to stain or paint the stand black. (Haven't decided which to do, suggestions?)

After the stand gets colored black, the tank will be going back onto it, then I will connect all my plumbing to my currently non-existant sump (20L didn't fit in stand =[ go figure)
Then after the plumbing is all set, i'll be adding the sand and then slowly adding the water using the plastic dinner plate method to minimize sand kick-up as best I can.

Last edited:
I'll take pictures of anything specific per request. Like the silicone seams, glass thickness, close ups of whatever you want.
Feel free to ask for specific pics and also feel free to ask any questions.

I am EXTREMELY happy with GlassCages btw! IDK how everyone talks badly of them still. I know they used to be a bad company for many, but they've DEFINITELY cleaned up their act!
Unless I just got lucky, idk. But customer service was great and this build quality is something i'd expect of a Miracles tank.

EDIT: Does this belong in the Photography Section instead? I can't remember. If so, sorry.

Last edited:
Looks nice. I almost went with GC but changed my mind due to all the negative reviews. If I ever switch tanks (which I doubt) I'd consider going with them now.

Can't wait to see more build pics!

I've been looking froward to this thread man.....GC tanks are beast tanks! The thickness of the glass is unbelievable. U gotta stain that stand..... I like the pink background too... Lol jk can't wait to see what u do with this beauty of a tank. How thick is the glass again? Lol

Building my own sump. Kinda wish I went with one of theirs since I built a 20 Long sump before I got in the stand, not realizing the stand is a full enclosure and that the only way to get a sump in is through the front door, which is not as wide as the sump. Lol.

The glass is 3/8" thick. Not too thick to not accept an MP10, but not too thin to blow apart either. The bottom of the tank is only one pane, not two like many say. However it has a "eurobrace" if you will, of glass around the outter perimiter inside that is about 2 inch wide strips. You can see it in the photos already posted. Like I said before, you can truly feel it. This tank is built "like a tank".

And don't josh me on the pink background, lol. Tried to get the fiance to let me paint the bedroom. She wasn't having it. Lol. "Too much work and moving furtniture and the fumes and blah blah blah." Actually I think I heard her say "No, fumes, work, pain, don't bother" Lol.

And again, I cannot stress it enough: If you've contemplated going with a GlassCages tank, and got scared away because of negative reviews, fear not! As this is a 110% positive review telling you to DO IT!

EDIT: IDK if you guys have noticed it, or if it bugs all of you as much as it bugs me, but the only thing I disliked about the whole GC experience is how on the stand the top plank of wood in the front extends out longer on both sides than the width of the tank. No clue why the hell they did this, and i'm planning to cut off the excess on both sides before staining. =]

Last edited:
EDIT: IDK if you guys have noticed it, or if it bugs all of you as much as it bugs me, but the only thing I disliked about the whole GC experience is how on the stand the top plank of wood in the front extends out longer on both sides than the width of the tank. No clue why the hell they did this, and i'm planning to cut off the excess on both sides before staining. =]

I was wondering about that. Everything else looks great :)

I know, isn't it strange? I've looked at pictures of other stands from them, and it appears as though they do that on all their stands?
I can't fathom why they'd do such a thing on purpose? But hey, whatever. Nothing a saw, 5 minutes, and a beer can't fix.

wow very nice. and good call on the tank dimension as well. Glasscages definitely has improved. Got mine tank from GC back in April and was very impress how solid the tank was.
I can't believe that you took the chance to drill holes on the new rimless tank yourself. Glad that it worked out well. You are going to have plenty of room for corals now.

on the glass-hole overflow box, is that the Super Nano con Dientes box or the 700 gph.

Everything is looking good. yes, keep the pictures going.

Yeah it's a limited edition Girl skateboard Hello Kitty Edition with krux trucks and ricta crystal wheels. All decked out. It's a show board I built for the wife for xmas.

More photos to come this weekend for sure.

Yeah drilling it myself people thought I was crazy, but hey, it had to be done. And if it broke, I could've always gotten a Deep Blue 57 same footprint, lol. That's what kept me going.

It's just the standard glass-holes 700gph with acrylic cover.

As promised, here are some more photos:

IMAG0010.jpg
Yes I already ate the Fun-Dip...

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg
Sorry for the crap quality photos, took them with my cellphone.
But you can still somewhat make out how clean of a edge and silicone job this really has.

Again, feel free to request any photos you want to see specifically.

Last edited:
Oh, and on a side note...

I GOT THE 20L SUMP TO FIT IN THE STAND!!!
I just had to widen the opening by about 1/4" on the left side and put it in on an angle, but it just fit through the opening!
I widened it roughly this much |__| and voila!
Go figure it fits in the stand with room to spare once it got through the opening...

The door still covers the widened opening with plenty of room to spare. The opening was 28" and the tank at an angle was literally 28.25"
The door is 29" so to have put the tank straight in wouldn't of worked for obvious reasons, but on an angle a shed off over an inch and a half.

Nice setup... Does the stand have a semi open top? And the foam is for protection, I assume? I only ask because I enjoyed looking at my pistol shrimp burrow through the bottom of the tank through my stand. There actually can be some cool things to see under there... Food for thought.
Awesome setup, keep the pics coming, I am following!

Nice setup... Does the stand have a semi open top? And the foam is for protection, I assume? I only ask because I enjoyed looking at my pistol shrimp burrow through the bottom of the tank through my stand. There actually can be some cool things to see under there... Food for thought.
Awesome setup, keep the pics coming, I am following!

No, the top is 100% enclosed. Actually, the whole entire stand is enclosed and sealed with the except of the front door, which holds so close to the stand that it's also basically sealed up. Lol. And the foam is partially for protection I guess, but really it is intended to help level out the tank on the stand. As you fill with water and it starts to weigh down, gravity will see to it that the tank sits into the foam evenly even if the stand isn't perfectly level. Or so is the theory... I'm just following their directions to keep it there. GC didn't specifically tell me why. Lol.

Just put on the first coat of stain tonight. Looking decent so far. Definitely needs another coat, if not two more to achieve the dark dark black I want.
Also sprayed the entire inside of the stand with truck bed liner to make it waterproof. Still have to caulk the seams though.
I also drilled to ports on either side of the back of the cabinet. Made two 5" holes that are 5" apart for each other and connected them to make tall oval shaped ports.
Has room for plumbing, and if ventilation isn't enough as is, it has room to add computer fans.

EDIT: I cut off the stupid excess wood on that top plank too. Lol.

Back