Stocking question for 70g

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
So I won the complete 70 gallon setup at MACNA and I'm getting a little nervous about keeping it looking this nice for the long run (or even till next week).

Right now there are 4 Ocilerous clowns and 4 Randall's Anthias. The clowns are ok together right now (3 tiny and one large female, my male carpet surfed the night we got the new tank) My worry is the Anthias. Isn't four a bad number to have? Will getting 3 more females overstock the tank? Or do I have to go to one or a pair? I'm leaning towards bringing it up to seven because seven anthias of some sort were planned for the 120g w 100g sump. Can I wait that long to add three females? People seem to say add them all together at the same time, so keeping four for a while might be bad.

Be ready for a Cindyfreekingout thread soon when I have my first alge bloom or something.

From what I've read it doesn't matter if there are an odd or even number in the tank.
The problem comes when there is only 2. The male bullies the females and when there is only 1 female she doesn't really get a chance to eat. I have 5 Randalls right now. I love to watch them. The male is always chasing so it gives the appearance of playing.

i think one eye is right. if i remember correctly, it doesn't matter how many you have as long as there is only 1 male and at least 2 females.

Both females seem to get chased away from the food by the male and the dominant female/half male?? The two girls are markedly skinnier, but the male and his buddy of undetermined gender are fat. They seem to display to each other a lot, but I don't see them fight.

I'm thinking a few more females would be good. One more would probably be best, but I hate to order just one fish especially if I might need to get rid of the girl/boy. In the 120 they will have lots of swimming room as it is a room divider and they can swim on both of the long and one short sides with a tunnel in the middle. I think 7 wouldn't be too much do you?

As far as odd or even, I think it is like flowers, an odd number looks nicer and more natural for some reason.

Wow, I asked about the anthias on wetwebmedia and got a very dismal(and a little condesending) responce.

Randalls Anthias 9/17/04
I'm looking for info about the temperment and heartiness of
specifically the randall's anthias. I can't seem to find any
hobbyists who have kept them. Are they pretty new?

<not at all... but you have not found much info because they are a simply dismal species to attempt to keep in captivity. Most conscientious aquarists will leave these species in the ocean. They are very delicate, most always require live foods (gut loaded prey is a must here)... they need dim tanks and very passive tankmates. One male can be kept with several females in large aquaria (200 gall-ish)>

I've gotten as much info as I can about anthias in general, but I know they can vary from type to type. I won a complete setup at a raffle and five were included.

<wow... how very irresponsible of the donor to show and offer these fishes as an impulse/prize animal. Simply irresponsible - this is a very delicate species for expert care only in mature tanks>

One unfortunately didn't make it, but the others are doing
well.

<they may hang in for some weeks or even months. It is very unlikely they will survive to even see one year in captivity. Mark my words, my friend. You might save them if you make this a species tank and focus as pewr above needs/instructions>

I'm trying to decide if the four will be ok or if I should get
another three females(hopefully from the same batch) as soon as
possible. They will be in a 120 with 100g sump with few tankmates.
(probably a CBB and a pair of O clowns)

<please do not import/buy any more of these fishes my dear... not until you have demonstrated an ability to keep the current ones (healthy over 6 months). Best of luck, Anthony>

flighty have you tried to contact live aquaria about these fish?
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith

and on the response you got from wet web i think is justified,as you stated you won the tank in a raffle.if i got that info i would assume that you have no experience and just so happen to win something you cant take care of.

he did give you the advice you were looking for although it may be negative i think it just shows his honest concern about people being able to keep the animal healthy and happy...

when i worked at petco i was very subjective to who i sold animals to and would screen them on site and usually only give them only negative aspects of keeping that animal(usually ferret's) i would rather see myself taking care of the animal than someone else neglecting it...

Cindy,
I would be carefull you do not get an amonia spike. You have a lot of aminals and seeing the tank is brand new, it probally has not have cycled yet. Thank you for the yellow cap frag, it is doing just fine.

Ron

I am an idiot! I have Bartletts Anthias! Sorry. I would hold off on adding any more fish to the tank as well. You will most likely run into a cycle. The tank will need a break in period and the bioload in there is pretty heavy already.

Back