Stocking question

shanet1975

Non-member
Just setup my new lights (thank you so much KPC (Kevin)). Bought the Aquactinics TX5 T5 High Output Fixture with a nice choice of bulbs. Not quite sure what they are. I see two whites, a pink, a blue and a purple.
Everything else is setup. Sump, skimmer, return, 2 koralias, heater, lights....Think that's everything. I have about 35 lb's of live rock (had already been in an existing tank (Thank you Michele), and about a 4" sand bed that was live as well (thank you again Michele). I am now looking to start stocking as my tests came out great. Should I start with a cleanup crew, or fish? I would like to get 2 clowns, to start, but not sure if I should have cleaners in there first.
Thanks again for your help....

There won't be anything for the cleanup crew to eat until there is fish and fishwaste. i.e. excess food. What other types of fish are you adding. Some species are very territorial ( clowns ) every time I reach into my tank my maroon clowns come after my hands. Its kinda funny

I would like to get a mated pair of ocelares (sp) and go from. Not sure where to after that. was thinking a 6 line wrasse, a smaller tang, maybe a fox face lo. Not really sure. The only definite are the clowns. And on that note. Is it smarter to get an anemone before or after introducing the clowns?

Not really on the nem. One of my maroons just started hosting my LTA and the other still won't go in it after 2 months. You don't need to have a nem at all. But it is very cool when they host. 6 line wrasses are cool. Tangs are nice also, I have a yellow. I was told to add my yellow first so I will tell you the same. If you get a fox face don't go with the yellow tang though. the tang will fight with it because of the similarities in color. You won't see 2 tangs in the same tank because of that. How big is your tank?

56 tall. Is that enough for a tank? I would love either a yellow or a hippo, but thought my tank wasn't big enough???

Tangs need length to swim and grow very fast, I would suggest it in your setup
Also I'd still let your tank run for a bit before adding fish, get a small clean up crew and increase your bioload slowly

Is there a good amount of time one would wait before adding fish? The rock and sand were already established. The eAter was new. Tests came back ok.
Also, did u say I would or wouldn't be ok with a tang?
Thanks Again and happy Easter all

If everything is at 0. Then add slowly as foxy suggested. I have a hippo in my 75 and eventually I will have to get rid of him because it will get too big. I think the yellow tang would be ok. Just make sure that there is adequate room for it to swim. They like to have long blasts across the tank. Plenty of hiding spaces also because they like to hide also. Snails hermits shrimp all good to start out with.

If you havent had any fish at all I would suggest a blue chromis or 2 to start things off, they are hardy and not aggressive. tangs willl usually require 6'n length to be happy. Its easy to think you will take them out when they get bigger.. but once you stock a tank and add coral odds if getting one out without total disruption are slim..if they live. clowns look peaceful but can get aggressive some more than others .decide the fish you really want that are suited for your tank and add the most aggressive last.

What are the dimensions of the tank? being that it is a tall tank it probably would not be wise to place a tang in there. Exceptions like a little yellow tang or kole tang may work. Not all tangs grow fast and are fine in a smaller tank for several years(hippos tangs grow fast despite their initial small size!).

Clowns are a good way to start. Dont make the mistake and put in a damsel or other problem fish since getting them out can become near impossible(chromis are an exception as they are not aggressive). After that maybe look at a wrasse or something. if you are unsure what you want check out liveaquaria.com or similliar site for pictures and basic information. pick a few you like the do some research on them. live aquaria does a good job on descriptions but with any fish a little research can save you a lot of headaches.

If your params are stable give it a week and if they are still good then you should be fine to add things. Live rock and sand make all the difference in the duration of the cycle.

Thanks for the replies. The tank is only 30" wide. No where near enough for a tang I think. Chromis are really cool and swim in schools I've read. I'll give it another week and if tests are good still, I'll think about 2 or 3 green chromis. Then maybe a wrasse, then a blenny or something, then the clowns. That's the plan for now anyway. :). Is there a way to tell when things are ok to start adding coral?

Yeah no tang for sure in a 30" wide tank. IME, six-line wrasses tend to get aggressive as they get bigger...maybe it's just me though :eek:.

My sailfin blenny is definitely one of my favorites because he has great personality and always following me when I'm near the tank.

Clowns don't need anemones to be happy. Mine look pretty content in my frogspawn and will nip when I get close to their home.

Back