Storing RO

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
What do most people do to store there RO? If you keep it in a 55gal drum, do you have to have water movement, and airstone. Just wondering, I have adrum I am going to use, not for salt just RO.
TIA Derek

I store mine in a clean 55 gal barrel with a power head and a heater only for winter use if the time comes I need to make extra emergency salt water I'll mix and heat to temperature for 24 hrs. Occasionally when it's empty I'll wipe down in interior of the the barrel and the equipment. Sometimes I'll get a slime on the hose and cord. I'll check the TDS if it's been sitting for a long period with no issues to the water and has been fine.

I store mine in a clean 55 gal barrel with a power head and a heater only for winter use if the time comes I need to make extra emergency salt water I'll mix and heat to temperature for 24 hrs. Occasionally when it's empty I'll wipe down in interior of the the barrel and the equipment. Sometimes I'll get a slime on the hose and cord. I'll check the TDS if it's been sitting for a long period with no issues to the water and has been fine.

I do the same thing. I also have an airstone in mine to keep the water aerated. I too vacuum the inside occasionally to get rid of the slime. not sure if the slime is harmful but I do it anyway.

i dont have any pumps in my 35g drum... i get water out of it 2-3 times a week some times more...(depends on weather top offs) and so far my tank is great. i rely should put a air stone in it.

my other barrel I would get slime once in awhile, but I figured the water would go bad. I guess thats the beauty of the RO water, nothing in it to get algae. I want to put this in a closet and forget about it. I want to add my ATO, and set it and forget it.
Derek

Oh, I misread the post. I store my premade salt water in a barrel. I make RO on demand for top off's. I use a bathtub in a bathroom we don't use. I make a few containers of it and keep it on hand. Once I get my slop sink plumbed into the basement, I plan on getting a second 55 gallon drum for my RO and moving my RO/DI system to the basement.

Right now I make RO water on the 2nd floor, and bring it down two flights of stairs to the basement to mix it and put it in my storage barrel. PITA.

Oh, I misread the post. I store my premade salt water in a barrel. I make RO on demand for top off's. I use a bathtub in a bathroom we don't use. I make a few containers of it and keep it on hand. Once I get my slop sink plumbed into the basement, I plan on getting a second 55 gallon drum for my RO and moving my RO/DI system to the basement.

Right now I make RO water on the 2nd floor, and bring it down two flights of stairs to the basement to mix it and put it in my storage barrel. PITA.

that sucks! i know carrying a 5 gal up one set of stairs is a PITA but 2.... now that sucks!

Yea, $6 of tube and a float valve and no more stairs :)

Then I would have to run a tube out a window or down the stairs through the house. I will have my slop sink plumbed in eventually, then I can hook it up there. I would love to have an ATO too but I would have to drill through the floor into a finished garage. I would have to open up the ceiling in the garage, then drill through a beam into the basement. I hate adding water every 2 days.

Maybe that's why I don't have good coral growth. Need more stable SG

Ughhh. Your not lazy enough.... ;)

I'd hook up the tube running through the house, then take it apart when the barrel was full.

Then I would have to run a tube out a window or down the stairs through the house. I will have my slop sink plumbed in eventually, then I can hook it up there. I would love to have an ATO too but I would have to drill through the floor into a finished garage. I would have to open up the ceiling in the garage, then drill through a beam into the basement. I hate adding water every 2 days.

Maybe that's why I don't have good coral growth. Need more stable SG

you don't have any exposed pipe in your basement?

for drain (washing machine worked great for me)
then you drill a hole in it and put this on it
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI..."-Quick-Connect-Drain-Clamp/product_info.html

thats for waist

for water in you get one of these
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI...ing-Valve-(Up-to-5/8"-pipe)/product_info.html

just throwing that out there

corey

For storing RO I use a 40 gallon polyethylene brine tank - like for water treatment. It has a nice fitting lid. I drilled a hole for float valve and just above that a hole for air (tubing w/ airstone). RO water line runs from utility rm. (downstairs) up through floor to behind kit. cabinets, then to pantry closet (where barrel is). I use an 18 gallon barrel to mix salt.
I like to aerate RO as my water is acidic, and after aerating for 6 hours or so, pH runs up to 7+ (from 5.5) which won't tax the buffering capacity of the salt mix quite as much.

Back