strontium & molybdenum

nitrofish

reefing again!
how do I test these, I want to make sure I have enough because my coriline alge seems to be loosing its luster.

ps. what do you use as a supliment?

I have never even tested for those and thought that water changes would take care of those levels?

Very difficult to test for Strontium. There are test kits, but I have found the hobbyist kits to be worthless.

i'll join the agreement here.
in my opinion, testing and supplementing for these two elements is a waste of time, and money.

then what can I do about my coriline alge, its starting to look like heck? I test my water daily and I have a sg of 1.025 temp of 76,calcium of 420,ph of (well its hard to tell the color on this test kit)between 8.0 and 8.5. nitrate of 5.0

I was doing a 35 gallon water chance once a month and have recently uped that to twice a week(starting last week) the tank is a 180 gallon. Im working on getting a refugium setup soon, I figure that will get rid of my nitrate.

Attachments

• coriline.jpg
    coriline.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 182
What's your alkalinity?
I found that was a missing ingredient for my tank. Once I started monitoring and keeping the alk at the proper levels, my coraline algae took off.
In fact, coraline algae needing to be scraped off the glass was a signal for me that the Ca and CO3 were in the ballpark.
Incidentally, your nitrates may be fueling the greenish stuff growing on the rocks. Do you use RO or RO/DI water?

Proper levels of magnesium can also help coraline growth... but I agree with Moe, if you keep a high alkalinity the coraline should start spreading fast.

Nuno

ive been useing ro/di water from a 6 stage unit. also my phosphate is undetectable last time I tested

acording to this "The alkalinity of natural seawater is around 2.0-2.5 meq/l. To convert to KH, multiply this number by 2.8" my alk is 12.6 dkh

Alk at 4.5 is on the high side, which is good for coraline growth (that's very close to where I try to keep my alk, around 12 dkH). Your calcium level is not balanced to this alk level... at 4.5 alk you should have a calcium level of around 450 (see the calculator at http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm )... however, I'm not sure if that imbalance impacts coraline growth at all, I don't think so.

Btw, when you say it's starting to "look like heck", what exactly are you referring to? From the pic nothing looks wrong to me...

Nuno

Btw, when you say it's starting to "look like heck", what exactly are you referring to? From the pic nothing looks wrong to me...

Nuno[/QUOTE]

all the white spotts, I just aded a new rock with a deep purple color to it and its getting that same whitish look in spots. maybe im just over reacting.

Your coraline (especially the one on the new rock) may need to adjust to your lights... it can bleach when put in high-light tanks, that could be the cause for the white spots.

Nuno

Back