Submersible sump pump suggestions

mano1192

Desert reefin!
Looking for suggestions on brands themselves, also if the pump is not self-prime will it not start back up if the power goes out?? Sorry if this is a obvious question....

I have a 'quiet one' pump and like it very much. It is indeed quiet, and has always started. It can be run submersible or external, but I run it submersed. The only thing I dont like is that the cord is not grounded.
It has been running for 7 months without a single problem (guaranteed to seize up today because of this praise :D)

As far a priming, If you are running the pump submersed, it should not run dry, and therefore will stay primed.

I am very new (cylcing tank now) but I have heard and use a mag 7 pump which is self priming and works well for me. The people that I have talked to seemed to think that the mag series of sump pumps might not have the best life span.... he said that I would need a new pump in about five years....I told him in five years I will also want a bigger tank :D . If life span is your concern the guy I talked to suggested Eheim pumps but they were a little beyond my budget.

I hope this helps maybe others will chime in :)

Yea I just realized that the gph on that pump are way too low to work, I will need something around the 700 gph range, its a small tank around 40 gal. I figure that should be good for the return as I am also making a CL too, with a squid, and that will be around the same GPH-700. Do you think thats too much flow for a small tank?

nunofs said:
I hope you don't mind me tagging along

U hijacker!! :rolleyes: JK, man thats alotta water, what size is your tank....also is there a general rule of thumb as to how much flow you need per gallon?

"Do you think thats too much flow for a small tank?"

That depends on what you keep in the tank. Whit the head and squid pressure on the 700 gph pumps you may end up with 800 or 900 gph in the tank.

Nuno I have heard good things about the Ocean Runners. The ECO looks like a SEN

mano1192 said:
U hijacker!! :rolleyes: JK, man thats alotta water, what size is your tank

It's a 75g, I was using a dialed-back Mag9, that I think was pushing close to 500gph... but the return now goes through the chiller, which adds an incredible amount of head pressure, and the return flow is very weak now. That's the only reason I'm looking at pumps around 1500gph, I figure with the head loss I should get around 800 or 900gph, which I then can dial-back if necessary.

Nuno

not letting your pump run at its full open capacity cuts it's life expentancy expotentialy! I work in HVAC engineering and in design spec we aim for as close to 100% efficiency as possible, and throttling back a pump is a major no no. 1- it still uses the max wattage output wether its pumping 100% or throttle back to 50%, 2- you increase head making the pump recieve a "back pressure" if you will which is where 80% of where and tear on any centrifigal pump comes from. I would try to pick your pump based on running at 100%... unless of corse you gots a lotta money for replacements

My understanding was that you shouldn't restrict or dial back the intake of a pump, but it is ok to put a valve to dial back the output... which is basically the same as running the pump with more head loss (ie, same as having more plumbing, or more vertical distance), as you mentioned.

Regarding the power consumption at different heads, although I have no direct experience to back this up (never measured it), there are published charts that indicate that power consumption varies depending on the head loss... see, for instance: http://marinedepot.com/aquarium_pum...merhead_manta_ray_tiger_shark_information.asp

Nuno

Nunos- I checked out those charts, they do show a difference with head directly related to watts used, I am proboly getting into it alot more than I should about it cause the pumps I am usually dealing with is several thousand GPM instead of 1000 GPH, so at the higher flow rates you run into many more efficiency problems than with smaller pumps. But yes the head is the discharge side and your rigth you should not reduce the intake side unless you have something like a PRV (pressure reducing valve) which would only apply to a closed loop system with more than one pump running simultaneoulsy... anyway sorry for the rant... so every1 seems to like the eheims, but they are pricy, and the SENs seem to have decent specs I might try one of those! As always thanks!

The first thing you need do is establish the flow rate that your return plumbing can handle (how much discharge back to the sump) if you exceed that the excess goes on the floor.

That said the Mag pumps are very good choice as are Eheims, for flow I would guess you would require about 500 GPH.

Jim

Back