Sump Help Please

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I am trying to add a sump to my 75gal SeaClear Series II tank. I know how I want it to work, but I dont know the best way to add overflows and returns. I want to try to keep the back middle section as a refugium, But I need to know how to direct the water. Can it flow thru the refug on its way to the overflow into the sump. Or should I direct the water to the sump, and then have alittle go thru the refug? Should I forget about the refug altogether?

In the sump should I have it divided into sections, or just let the water pour in, then pump it back? My skimmer stinks, so shoud I have some kind of mech filtration for the water coming in?

If anyone has some knowledge about SeaClear tanks, and could come by to take a look(I would pay someone for their time), I would really appreciate it. I live near OkGrove in Malden.

This is what the back looks like, I dont know if I should drill in comp 1, or 10. I wanted to use comp 5 as a refugium, but I dont know if I should have the water go thru it first, then let it flow to the sump. Im sure I have confused everyone, because I am confused myself. I know I might have to block off some compartments, with silicone or acrylic. How long does that stuff take to dry, oh ya I have it full of water, fish, and rock.

One other thing I forgot to mention is, I also want to add a second 16gal tank to it. So I will have 2 working off the same sump.

TIA Derek

Attachments

• SeaClear Series II.jpg
    SeaClear Series II.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Whats everyone thinking up a plan? Good I cannot wait to hear your suggs. Come on e guys,(and ladies). This cant be that difficult. I just need to know where to drill, high, low, in the bottom, left side, right side? Can I build a refuge in the back? Should I have the water go thru the refug first, or split the two? Come on, I want someone else to blame when I screw this up
TIA Derek

sorry man you confused the heck out of me.! but don't get rid of the refug

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry man you confused the heck out of me.! but don't get rid of the refug

+1

I read this a few times and can't figure out what the question is.:confused:
Maybe it's cause I don't have a clue what 75gal SeaClear Series II tank is.
Or this"comp 5 as a refugium"???
Or even where or what the 16 gallon tank is going that was mentioned.
I guess a diagram would be ideal here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture is the filtration built into the back of a Seaclear tank.

If you want to use compartment 5 as a refugium I would drill 2 drains. One in the compartment before where the bio balls are now and one in the last section. You put a ball valve on the first one and direct most of that flow directly to the sump. The second drain ion the last compartment will handle the water that will be bloked by the ball valve on the first drain and continue through the refugium.

2 tanks running off the sump is no problem, just split your return and I would have a ball valve on each after the split so you can shut down one tank independently. Make sure the sump is big enough to hold all the back flow from both tanks in a power outage.

Here is a bigger pic Mike I hope you can see this one better

Attachments

• SeaClear Series IIresize.jpg
    SeaClear Series IIresize.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 224
Back