Sump Splash

customclimates

Non-member
Is there some kind of Durso pipe mod to stop the splashing in my sump? Similar to the picture below?.
View attachment 29238

View attachment 29239
Also does the water level need to be below the tee or does the standing vent pipe need to be the only thing above the water level? Thinking of plumbing my tank over to correct some of the things I am not happy with. Any suggestions about this would be helpful. Could swear I just saw a recent thread on this but I was unable to search it out.
Thanks

Last edited:
That is I believe a "Reverse Durso". You want the waterline above the tee. How much flow do you have going through it and what size pipe? I find that reducing the pipe size some at the end helps out huge.

Right now it is a 1 ½ drain split into two 1” for the wet / dry converted sump I am using. Should I do two 1” or keep it the original 1 ½ all the way through & do not split it?

Right now it is a 1 ? drain split into two 1? for the wet / dry converted sump I am using. Should I do two 1? or keep it the original 1 ? all the way through & do not split it?
What is your flow rate? If it isn't a ton, then two 1" outputs may not be necessary. When I had two outputs, I reduced both to 3/4 at the very ends and my sump was silent. I'm not running a lot of flow through my sump though.

I think the design Idea is to keep the original 1.5" an go into a 2" to 3" bubble tower, might take some experimenting depending on what you have for room in your sump. Or you could ace the whole Idea and go with filter socks:p

I think the design Idea is to keep the original 1.5" an go into a 2" to 3" bubble tower, might take some experimenting depending on what you have for room in your sump. Or you could ace the whole Idea and go with filter socks:p

That's how my new tank will be setup. Filter socks do an amazing job, but I stopped using them about a month ago. I've been busier lately and having to clean them every couple of day became such a PITA!

Here is a pic of mine. There are about 20 small holes drilled in the top cap for venting. I actually ended up just placing a loose plastic bag over the top to fight and spray.

Attachments

• RevDurso.jpg
    RevDurso.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 162
That's how my new tank will be setup. Filter socks do an amazing job, but I stopped using them about a month ago. I've been busier lately and having to clean them every couple of day became such a PITA!

I do agree than can become a chore but the payoff is well worth it, I started using them about 4 years ago and never turned back. A solution to cut back on the maintenance of them is to by several and have a rotating stock so the cleaning can be either weekly or biweekly;)

I do agree than can become a chore but the payoff is well worth it, I started using them about 4 years ago and never turned back. A solution to cut back on the maintenance of them is to by several and have a rotating stock so the cleaning can be either weekly or biweekly;)

That's what I did, but it was still a pain :D

One day, when I'm rich , I'll just use them as disposable socks and all will be well :D

Back