Sunburst anemones

How much would you pay for a nem (all the variants included)

• Total voters

tkyee98

Yeet.Reefing
BRS Member
What’s your guys thoughts on the CSB or CC inferno anemones? Worth the high price tag?

What about this one, just playing devils advocate, but a green bta will always be green and a rose bta will always be red (to some degree). Also, corals are mostly genetics where epigenetics are impacted by environmental factors, but to a certain degree gene expression to a certain baseline exists.

Sounds like you’re ready to shell out 2k+ for a Sunburst BTA or whatever you want to call it. More power to you.
As for me, I’m shopping for a Lexus LC500 or BMW M5. Hopefully the LC500 doesn’t just become a Toyota Yaris in my garage environment.

I feel like you should pay what you're comfortable with spending. If you wanna ball out for an anemone, more power to you, and it's okay if you don't. Same thing with clothes, a belt is a belt. But some people wanna spend the extra for Gucci while others are okay with other brands. I'm excited to get my CSB later this week.

What about this one, just playing devils advocate, but a green bta will always be green and a rose bta will always be red (to some degree). Also, corals are mostly genetics where epigenetics are impacted by environmental factors, but to a certain degree gene expression to a certain baseline exists.
You are correct that a green BTA will stay green.
But rainbow BTA can exhibit various color such as red, pink, green and yellow, they have all the genes to express various fluorescence proteins and up regulate/down regulate their proteins depending on environment. Also depending on local demand and catchy names, price can vary dramatically. For example, a well known vendor in San Diego, used to sell the same rainbow BTA floating around locally for $600 each.

Are you trying to gauge for how much you can sell them once they split?

I have a rainbow anemone that originally looked somewhat similar to the sunburst anemone in the Reefbreeders blog post. It has never split since I purchased it over 2 years ago. It’s color under Radion G5 is much less vibrant than how it looked originally under Kessils.

When I bought the anemone, I recall that Love the reef and OSA were both selling rainbow anemones around $60 - $100 depending on the size.

Last edited:
Not interested in selling anytime soon lol. Just curious to see how nems stack up against other pricey corals

There’s no need for justification after a purchase has been made. You buy what you like.
For me, chances are that Uber expensive frag I bought will belong in the bargain bin when I’ve grown enough to frag. Aka, foxflame, walt Disney, etc.:ROFLMAO:
Enjoy what you have.

I guess a photo beats a thousand words.
I am very positive that both anemone in this photo are the same type.
1619095919055.png

Yeah, only problem is good luck getting "that" Nem from a random Ebay dealer. Most likely not WYSIWYG and you will not get anything like that, they will ship just a regular RBTA.
That is very true for online ordering. Especially those photo are heavily photoshopped. There is another catch when buy from eBay, as PayPal is not going to guarantee live animals, nor UPS or Fedex would guarantee shipping of live animals. That means the “not as described” guarantee from eBay is not applied to coral.

Dong, that Colorado sunburst looks pretty similar to the dozens of RBTAs that are proliferating in your tanks! I know, because I bought one from you recently, and am looking at it right now. Maybe there is a difference in the contrast in the "vein" patterns on the tips, but the colors look similar to me. And thank you for not charging me $1,999.

Personally I think people are nuts paying the kind of money they do for them. But that's what they like enjoy. How much are they going for up that way. I think there's a guy in Connecticut who sells them for like $600-700

Dong, that Colorado sunburst looks pretty similar to the dozens of RBTAs that are proliferating in your tanks! I know, because I bought one from you recently, and am looking at it right now. Maybe there is a difference in the contrast in the "vein" patterns on the tips, but the colors look similar to me. And thank you for not charging me $1,999.
Yes they looks the same minus photoshop under blue light with a gel filter.

Back