T5s supplement for AI Sol Blue LED

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
After some research and weighing off my options for adding some of the missing spectrum in my AI Sol Blue LED panels, I decided to add T5s to it. I found this to be the most effective/cheaper/easiest and somewhat proven way to add the missing spectrums.

People in other reef clubs have had some good results from T5 supplementation, so I thought I might give it a try.

I decided to go with 2 T5 bulb configuration w/ individual reflectors – ATI Purple Plus and Actinic.

Everythingontank.jpg

I took my Sols down and built a frame around it and installed the caps, ballast and reflector. The reflectors are just clipped onto the bulbs. This way I can aim the light as needed.

Solsoutofcanopy.jpg

capsmounted-1.jpg

ballast-1.jpg

T5sandSolsincanopy.jpg

I was thinking the same thing down the road. How does the additional t5 light help with growth and color?? As opposed to just the AIs

T5son.jpg

T5sandSolsoff.jpg

T5install-1.jpg

I am running both T5s 30 minutes after the Sols turn on and shutting them off 30 minutes before they shut off. I had to play around with the Blue and Royal Blue LEDs to dial in the color tone I like. It was a little too purple/red for my taste.

Before…

T5Purple.jpg

After I adjusted…

T5Blueadjusted.jpg

Obviously it’s too early to tell any reactions from the corals. But so far I have noticed that they fluoresce more, greens and reds pop out a lot more and some corals seems to open a little more.

Hopefully with time the SPS’s that have lost their color will get it back.

I know every light setup has its ups and downs and I feel like I can deal with LED’s ups and downs a little better than T5s and MHs.

LEDs are great lighting systems, but they are missing some spectrum and are definitely not thoroughly proven as T5s and MH lights. I feel like we are paving the way to a better LED set up by trying out things like “hybrid” systems. It was done before with VHOs and MHs, MHs and T5s and now LEDs and T5s.

I am not ready to dish out a lot of money for these new LED’s systems claiming they are “all you need” (not putting them down. This is just my opinion). Maybe in a year or so, but not just yet.

My Sols work for what I need. It just needs a little “Tune up” (o;

Thanks
Higor

I was thinking the same thing down the road. How does the additional t5 light help with growth and color?? As opposed to just the AIs

Not sure yet. People in Reefcentral and other reef clubs seems to be having good results. I will update this thread as I noticed any difference. Be it good or bad.

I just did the same thing with my Vegas, primarily for the infrared spectrum. I've got a 4 foot wide tank, so I just put on a two bulb 36 inch fixture. We'll see how it does.

I just did the same thing with my Vegas, primarily for the infrared spectrum. I've got a 4 foot wide tank, so I just put on a two bulb 36 inch fixture. We'll see how it does.

Same here. 72G 4 ft tank... I'm curious to see what happens...

Higor's EVO 3D

Back