Tail regeneration??

jprince

Here we go again....
So here’s something I have never encountered in all my years of reefing. I added an Emerald crab to the tank last week and now I have a one eyed six line Wrasse and a Royal Gramma with its tail bitten clean off at the base. Speculating that the crab ambushed them while they were sleeping. The Wrasse seems to be managing and the Gramma keeps to the rocks as the flow in the tank now makes it difficult at best for it to swim unless the power heads are off. Here’s the question: I know fish can regenerate fins/tails after a case of fin rot but have found conflicting information when it come to regenerating after amputation. Common sense says “not possible” but does anyone have actual first hand experience with this? Have you observed any regeneration or did it just heal over at the wound site?

I had a tomini tang that was battered tremendously. It literally has no tail, dorsel or anal fins left, body bruised and cut up as well. I caught the tomini and transferred to my frag tank. Over time, everything grew back and it's been a stellar fish ever since. Good Luck.

Maybe @Humblefish could give better insight on this.

In most cases, a fin can regenerate provided there's something left to it. But if the damage is all the way down to the "nub" it usually won't grow back.

Back