taking specific gravity down to an acceptable level

dakar652

dakar652
I try to not ask for help unless absolutely necessary, but here it is.

I've been using a hydrometer (cue the comments) for quite some time, specifically the last month since I've rekindled my old flame with the reef hobby...I know it's heracy and sacrelige to even use the word hydrometer, and I should have known better, I KNOW!

We're beyond that now.

Fast Forward to this evening when I came home to find my new BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) refractometer at my doorstep (amongst a 200gallon box of reef crystals and gallon of kalkwasser)...and I decided to try it out immediately. Apart from being extremely difficult to read, this thing probably does the job quite well. I took a reading with my hydrometer for the sake of science...and it read the normal 1.0245 (between 1.024 and 1.025) SG and I was pretty happy as that is what I have come to expect after coming home to my new Tunze ATO that keeps my parameters while I'm slaving for the man.

I un box and calibrate this new fanged refractometer with the calibration solution at 1.026 SG...actually read the Please do not attempt to circumvent the auto censor manual...and now it looks like I'm getting a reading of 1.028 with my tank water...now I'm nervous. Am I missing a step?

I'm panicking right now...so my first step was to remove a few cup fulls of tank water and let the ATO compensate for the loss. How many times can I remove approximately a liquid measure cup from a 30 gallon tank in an allotted amount of time to get to the desired specific gravity of 1.024-1.025 without effecting my corals or inverts (assuming my two Mai tai clowns will only welcome the change in salinity).

Hold the comments about the hydrometer...I feel like an ************** for trusting such an archaic instrument, but it was really only supposed to be a temporary solution to a permanent issue. I knew better...but I did it anyway.

Thanks in advance.
-Uber Noob (again) Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
To make it easier to read the refractometer, point it at a light source as you look through it. Makes it much easier to see the line. Also if you wear glasses, take them off to read the refractdometer.

I would do just what you are doing, remove a little salt water daily and let the ATO replace it with fresh water until the SG comes down to where you want it. It is possible to do the math to figure out just how much water it will take, but I wouldn't worry about tryint to figure that out, just check SG daily until it's right.

No worries , don't panic, 1.028 isn't that bad . Just take about 2-3 cups a day and keep your ATO topped off till you reach what you want. I did the exact same thing with my 90. Just take it slow the corals will let you know

actually might be closer to 1.029, but I'm slowly working on it. took a cup out last night at 0400...another out at 0730, and i'll probably drive home for lunch. I leave Thursday for 'the field' for the weekend (what the military calls camping), so I'd like to have it all set by then so I can have a worry free weekend while my room mates feed my fish for me.

thank you for your responses,
Mike

Slow is good, but you may be being more cautious than you need to be. You could probably go a quart at a time insted of a cup at a time.

Hydrometers get a bit of a bad rap. They tend to be inaccurate but they are consistent. If you can take a known water sample with your target salinity (usually determined with a refractometer), you can mark the hydrometer scale appropriately. I have a cheap Coralife hydrometer that has been "calibrated." 1.024 is actually 1.026. I have been using it this way for years and my water is spot on every time I have it tested at the store.

I agree with this...and for a quick view, there's no doubt a hydrometer is the way to go. I actually had a Red Sea, and a Instant Ocean hydrometer and checked them last night against the refractometer. The Instant Ocean hydrometer was pretty spot on while the Red Sea was reading WAY low. It could be that the Red Sea is what I started out with in the hobby 7 years ago now, and it just sat for 4 years while I played Marine Corps after my tank crash in the 2010 ice storm. the plastic could have deteriorated to the point that it just became inaccurate, or my last reef tank just thrived on the ridiculously high salinity that my Red Sea was reading low.

Either way, the Red Sea is now in the recycling bin, and the IO will still have a permanent spot in my miscellaneous salt water supply bucket for quick checks.

1.027 and counting...trying to get to 1.026 or 1.025 by tomorrow night when I leave for drill (1.025 is the end goal). Thanks for keeping me from panicking! All is well and everything has lived through my mistakes thus far.

Back