Talk about cheap flow!

Cutting off the nozzle works great, especially on a wavemaker. That is of course if you don't need uni-directional flow. Since the impellar can rotate either direction each time it powers up, and there is no nozzle to direct the flow, it has a 50% chance of spraying out 90 degrees one way or the other (if you can visualize what I'm saying). On the wavemaker if mounted in the rear corner it will alternate flow along the rear and side walls each time it cycles (with some repeats of cource)

I agree with Rich about the propeller modification. I made one of the nitro-prop modifications to my Maxi-Jet 900. I did it at home by hand with a miter box and a hand driven miter saw. The pipe attachment is only 2" long and houses the 2 nitro prop design. My MaxiJet puts out incredible flow! The downside is that its slightly more noisey, but again, I hacked everything together by hand. Most times I take what is said on Reefcentral with a grain of salt, but so many people have added trial and error feedback to produce a pretty good design that is relatively easy to put together.

I haven't used PHReefs unit, but it looks pretty well made, and has great feedback from the BRS members that are using it. But all said and done mine cost me about $40 including a new MaxiJet 900 and a couple hours of my time to put it together.

mikestod said:
I haven't used PHReefs unit, but it looks pretty well made, and has great feedback from the BRS members that are using it. But all said and done mine cost me about $40 including a new MaxiJet 900 and a couple hours of my time to put it together.

Thanks for giving me the "benefit of the doubt" Mike. But I would like to note that my version of the maximod was never intended to be made or sold to DIYers like yourself. Many who have my version have tried making one themselves and didn't like the results.

PHreef said:
Thanks for giving me the "benefit of the doubt" Mike. But I would like to note that my version of the maximod was never intended to be made or sold to DIYers like yourself. Many who have my version have tried making one themselves and didn't like the results.

Pat, I never meant to say your mod was bad, just that its not cheap enough for me.

And the dual nitro works much better than the single Dumas. Give them a try.

But aren't you a Do-It-Yourselfer too Patrick? You must be if you came up with your own version of the design. But I admit, if I didn't enjoy the DIY aspect of this hobby so much (and wasn't so cheap) I probably would have ordered one of your units.

I wasn't trying to bash you or your product. I was simply agreeing that the more trial and error that goes on with these modifications, the better they will be. And they're fairly easy to put together, so you can play with them to see what the best design is as far as powerhead energy consumption, flow for the size tank you have, length of the tube, intake slots, propellors, etc. For instance I started with the pipe having slots behind the propellor to draw water in. I made the slots bigger and it seemed to move more water. I added more slots toward the front and its seemed to spread the flow out alot more. Trial and error, a DIYer's motto.

For a "DIYer" this MaxiJet modification is a fun inexpensive little project!

mikestod said:
But aren't you a Do-It-Yourselfer too Patrick? You must be if you came up with your own version of the design. But I admit, if I didn't enjoy the DIY aspect of this hobby so much (and wasn't so cheap) I probably would have ordered one of your units.

I wasn't trying to bash you or your product. I was simply agreeing that the more trial and error that goes on with these modifications, the better they will be. And they're fairly easy to put together, so you can play with them to see what the best design is as far as powerhead energy consumption, flow for the size tank you have, length of the tube, intake slots, propellors, etc. For instance I started with the pipe having slots behind the propellor to draw water in. I made the slots bigger and it seemed to move more water. I added more slots toward the front and its seemed to spread the flow out alot more. Trial and error, a DIYer's motto.

For a "DIYer" this MaxiJet modification is a fun inexpensive little project!

Mike, the thing that people don't understand is that Patrick makes these on a CNC mill at work. For him to machine these, he uses up time that he could be billing out for other work. A machinists time can be pretty pricey, so I would think that some of the cost in these is for him to recoupe lost time.

I completely understand time and money. It was all I could do to find time to mess around with the one I made. I'm simply stating for all of the other people that like to tinker, that its really cheap and easy to make one. This is a DIY thread after all...

I cut my slots with a handsaw and used a cordless drill to make mine and it came out pretty good. Plus I got a more wider gentle flow after ading a few more slots toward the front, so my frags wouldn't get blown over. It was right for my application. Just as I did, researching the various combinations of propellors and powerheads, along with variation in the housing design, will help people that are trying this modification for themselves figure out what will work best for the size and type of tank they're putting this in and the amount of flow they want to achieve.

PS: Pay no attention to the hair algae. The tank hasn't finished cycling yet.

Attachments

• MaxiJet Mod 004.jpg
    MaxiJet Mod 004.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 341
RichConley said:
Pat, I never meant to say your mod was bad, just that its not cheap enough for me.

And the dual nitro works much better than the single Dumas. Give them a try.

Well, I probably shouldn't take it to heart Rich, but I do. I guess I don't have the stomach for this retail stuff, I take it way too personally:eek: Sorry.

Actually I have tried dual props, it doesn't substantialy increase flow, but it does increase build time and creates a PITA balancing/vibration issue that I'd rather not deal with. Remember, this all falls back on me. If something breaks on a mod I replace it for free. Ask around to those that have them. I've had issues with things breaking and I replace the parts ASAP, no questions asked. It all comes down to how much time it takes to make one.

I have other designs that I've not released yet, so you may be a little surprised soon;)

mikestod said:

I wasn't trying to bash you or your product. I was simply agreeing that the more trial and error that goes on with these modifications, the better they will be. And they're fairly easy to put together, so you can play with them to see what the best design is as far as powerhead energy consumption, flow for the size tank you have, length of the tube, intake slots, propellors, etc. For instance I started with the pipe having slots behind the propellor to draw water in. I made the slots bigger and it seemed to move more water. I added more slots toward the front and its seemed to spread the flow out alot more. Trial and error, a DIYer's motto..

I sure am a DIYer Mike! I didn't take your comment as a bash, what I meant is that DIYers should definately try this mod. But those that can't do it or just don't want to can get a mod that works great, looks professional and most importantly is dependable.

By the way, nice mod:)

I did this mod but took it one step further by gently heating the fins and twisting them into a prop.Flow was strong enogh to make my fingers wiggle:) .I don't care about the counter rotating thing easy enough to notice and correct.

Attachments

• Dscn2609.jpg
    Dscn2609.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 340
Glad the air has cleared. Bashing was never a thought. And comparatively Pat, your mod looks 10 times cleaner and more professional than the one I threw together...

mikestod said:
Glad the air has cleared. Bashing was never a thought. And comparatively Pat, your mod looks 10 times cleaner and more professional than the one I threw together...

:)

Willray, that's a pretty cool idea! Nice innovation!

Wouldn't it just make more sense to install a closed loop system and do away with all powerheads?

Cheetos said:
Wouldn't it just make more sense to install a closed loop system and do away with all powerheads?

Closed loops use way too much energy...That's why people have gone to Tunze and these mods. I can vouche for Patrick on replacing parts too. I had a prop snap on one of my mods (it was one of the first models he made) and when I asked him if I could purchase a new one he told me to bring it and my other good one to the next meeting (which was less than a week away) and he would replace both for free.

Mikestod, I don't think anyone ever thought you were bashing Pat.

Pat is someone who believes in his work and his product. His craftsmanship is nothing BUT perfection. He's constantly thinking how to improve his product better even it has reach its maximum performance and perfection.

He is not about the money, it's about BELIEVING what he has developed and created. He want his product to make hobbiest happy, save money and if hobbiest happy that's what makes him happy and that's all he wanted!!!!

Take few seconds and say "Hi" to him at the next meeting and you will believe!!!

Last edited:
How sweet it is.I put this in a 30 long.Wow! I had to move it as high up in the corner as possible and direct it to back.The flow goes all the way around the tank .It's almost to much! almost!:p

willray said:
How sweet it is.I put this in a 30 long.Wow! I had to move it as high up in the corner as possible and direct it to back.The flow goes all the way around the tank .It's almost to much! almost!:p

Can we see a pic? What did you do to the housing?

I drilled holes simular to what NBL did.Used a centerdrill for 3/16" holes about ten of them. ground the part of nozzle off but elongated the opening to disperse the flow more.Can't take a pic till friday.

Back