Tank backgrounds

G.T

Salt Alien
What do you guys use for your blue backgrounds. Paint? or the conventional backgrounds available from pet stores?

Krylon spraypaint for me.

I tried colored plastic on an older tank, but water kept getting between the plastic and glass, and it looked awful.

I used a plastic film as suggested by Sea Creatures in N. Providence. It is basically opaque window tint. it sticks to the glass, so no water or salt gets behind it, and if you hate it, you can peel it off. I really like this, and will use it for all future tanks. He had both blue and black.

-Brian

Black paint on mine. FWIW-I think the black allows the colors to "pop" better

Brian....tell me more...Can it be put on after a tank is set up? Whats it called and where could I find some? HD perhaps?

background

Personally i found black to show any suspended particles more?

I used the darkest blue spray paint that I could find. It took about four to five coats. oh yeh. Do not forget to paint the overflows if you have corner overflows and the tank will be veiwable from the sides. (unless you want to display the overflow...!!! ) I found that anything but paint gets salt creep, bugs, whatever, between it and the glass and does not look very good. I used the cheapest paint I could find!

Cheers! :D

I suggest not using spray paint. Instead use a roller. I've tried both and thought the roller was better.

Black Krylon spray paint. It deiwa fast and can be repainted in minutes. They make one for use on glass. I used 2 cans on my 210. came out great.

dedfish said:
I suggest not using spray paint. Instead use a roller. I've tried both and thought the roller was better.

I also used a roller, one of those foam ones and it worked perfectly.

This reminds me I need to touch up a few areas :)

I used spray bombs in 4 shades of blue.Started at the bottom with the dark blue gradually working my way up the tank overlaping each coat w/ next lighter shade.

dedfish said:

Dedfish... great suggestion! I that would have done it in less than half the time! and with no overspray to worry about! Nice thick coat too!

I use black cloth with velcro stitched on to the top & bottom of the cloth. (sew on type) Then I use the stick on type on the frame after I clean it good with rubbing alcohol. This way it can be removed with a simple pull for washing. I never have to worry about it chipping once the tank is setup & it is easy to remove without having to move the tank. If you would like to change the tank background color all you need to do is remove the cloth & put another color of choice in it's place. After you sew the velcro on it that is.

You can pretty much switch the background when you get tired of the same color.

Last edited:
I also wouldn't use spray paint. It's messy and goes on thinner than rolling, requiring multiple coats. Rolling rustoleum or any latex paint is the easiest. (I like blue)

Back