Tank Backings

Fragged Up

Non-member
Can anyone tell me what seems to be the big difference or the favorite out here for backing colors for tanks. I've seen painted blues, blacks and no backings at all. Just wondering the method to the madness is. :cool:

I think no backing looks pretty crappy, so it's just a matter if you want to put a vinyl backer on, or paint the tank. And then what color.

I had black vinyl behind my last tank, and it did the trick, but was sort of a pain because SW would drip behind it sometimes. Not bad though.

My current tank is painted blue on the back. I think the blue makes the tank a bit brighter and bigger looking, but it's also more noticeable than a black background.

The only real downside to paint is that you can scratch through it if something bumps it, so keep some paint around for touching up later on if you need to.

Nate

I think black is a better choice because because it gives a better contrast to a wider variety of corals.I don't wan't my expensive blue tort's blending in with the background. :D

We have a black background on our tank, and it is nice becouse the overflow blends right into it.

We used an opaque window tint type material that we got from Sea Creatures in N. Providence when we bought the tank. Because it adheres to the glass it does not get any salt drippings behind it. It was a little work to get it on and make sure there were no bubbles, but it looks great on the tank.

Thanks, was just curious. I am picking up PTucker 36 Gal corner tank which is painted light blue. Also Nate I just pmd you!!

Jill & Brian said:
We have a black background on our tank, and it is nice becouse the overflow blends right into it.

thats a good point too,as do bulkheads,power cables etc.

Painted the back and the sides I painted a piece of plexi and attached with velcro on the top and botttom, all black.

on my main tand I have a tape on blue background. I used blue because I was afraid black would look too dark. my most recent tanks have a painted black background

Use a cut to fit piece of starboard and then spray on some pond foam and create a 3 dimentional background that looks like rock and once covered in corraline you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference

backdrop.jpg

really cool!

Nocturnal said:
Use a cut to fit piece of starboard and then spray on some pond foam and create a 3 dimentional background that looks like rock and once covered in corraline you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference

backdrop.jpg

:eek: I want to do that !!! show me show me ;)

Nocturnal said:

backdrop.jpg

For an acrylic tank you could spray that right on the back. I like the idea of being able to remove the entire piece if needed. A couple of silicone dabs to keep the board in place against the back and you're golden or maybe even a bead around the whole thing.
it does look killer doesn't it?

aha24 said:
I think thats a great idea ever see anything like that in a store?
I've never seen something to buy that was already done like that. The pond foam you can get at Marine Depot I believe. I've done shadow box type things for reptile tanks, but those were obviously on the outside, using bark and lichen and decor from model train stores. I bet you could do something similar as a shadow box using the pond foam. You could easily hide any plumbing with the foam, then paint and dry brush on some "corraline algae" and maybe insert a few pieces small pieces of coral skeleton and such. I like the fact that with this stuff you can completely conceal an overflow box and everything behind it.

I plan on painting the back of mine black. The question is what kind of paint should I use? Is a spray paint like crylon OK, or should I hand paint something on with a brush and then do I worry about being able to see brush marks. :cool:

Back