tank flood. Yay

BoArDwAxStYlE

Non-member
Ha.
As the title says thats what happened. I was drip acclimating some corals, Something came up whiles i was outside and i forgot about it. It was about 4 hours later i realized. Rushed home to a flooded room. About 15 gallons of water everywhere.
A plus is i got to do a water change. However it didnt go the way it normally does. Oh well.

I know someone else has had a flood. It doesnt matter how. Water everywhere is water everywhere.

yep ... was doing a water change, nothing different than usual. Turned off the skimmer and the return pump, and waited for the water levels to stabilize before siphoning out the water. The water level in the tank just kept going down and down by itself ... my wife asked if this was normal, and I said it was (because that's what it usually does while the water levels are stabilizing).

Of course, our return pump had created a siphon, and bada boom! had about 5 gallons of water in and around the tank stand. Not a fun night at all. lol

yep ... was doing a water change, nothing different than usual. Turned off the skimmer and the return pump, and waited for the water levels to stabilize before siphoning out the water. The water level in the tank just kept going down and down by itself ... my wife asked if this was normal, and I said it was (because that's what it usually does while the water levels are stabilizing).

Of course, our return pump had created a siphon, and bada boom! had about 5 gallons of water in and around the tank stand. Not a fun night at all. lol

My pump did that before even with a break drilled into it... Now it has a check valve.

6c07cab7-32b4-c3c5.jpg
How do you prevent return pump to do reverse syphon?

Keep it high in the water so that when air enters, it stops. I have about 15-20 gal room in my sump

You can do this when making water. After overflowing buckets 3 times I started this.

Last edited:
I dont rely on the break holes for the reason Jay mentioned above. I keep the opening of my returns right at the water level so it breaks the siphon, it would take a lot of crap to clog a 3/4" opening.

I've flooded the RODI a bunch of times. water all over the kitchen and down to the ceiling below... also the other night a couple of snails (one riding the other) decided to see how the U-tube was for food.. they slowed the flow so bad in a 12gl nano on my desk the return line just kept going and dumped about 3gl or so everywhere.

Back