Tank glass cleaner

I LOVE the mag-floats. Used them on my 80g and 10g, and this is the main scraper we used when I worked at Love the Reef. Make sure you get one that matches your glass thickness. The scraper attachment is a must have, but just be careful around the edges of the aquarium. I usually go in with a regular razor blade every once in a while to get the edges nice and crisp but use the mag floats 99% of the time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 64
On glass, I use a simple paint scraper from the hardware store. Works very fast and takes off the coraline with no problems. At first I found the blades would rust quickly, but then I learned that all you needed to do after rinsing was apply a very thin layer of cooling oil (wash it off before next use) and store it in a ziploc bag. Since a started doing that I've found a single blade will last for many years.

I use the Tunze Care strong+ on my display and Flipper on the frag tank. I have in the past used the paint scraper that @Greg Hiller is describing above but haven't I'm quite some time other than never remembering to pick on up while I'm at the hardware store.

I regularly use the Tunze strong with the metal blade but there is some green algae that it doesn't get off. For that I use a couple of different razor scrapers. I wouldn't use either of these on the front glass except along the edges, which, luckily, is the only place the tough algae gets a foothold.

I rinse with RO/DI water and dry which keeps the blades rust-free for a couple of months but not for years like Greg's technique.

1687541716545.png

This is the small one on Amazon:

i bought a plastic scraper from amazon that holds standard single edge blades and has maybe a 18-20" length for 10 bucks. The 2 piece handle folded up like a cheap lawn chair on first use.....lol

The actual plastic head of the scraper is a great part and was quickly drilled out and repaired with a fiberglass rod used for marking driveways in the winter. I liked this so much I bought 3 more and made varying lengths for different tanks. The ability to take one pass and get all nasties off the glass is unsurpassed.

I gave up on magnetic scrapers just because I'm too lazy to get a stone and dress the blade when it dulls, but if you must have a magnetic type I recommend you try sharpening the blade sometime. Once you put a good edge on it its like new and they do get dull faster than than you think.

Tunze caremagnet with the metal blade. But if you clean the glass often enough to not have the hard stuff a chance to grow, you’ll just need to use the plastic blade. I prefer more frequent glass cleaning with the plastic blade than let it go and have to use the metal blade

Back