Tank Integrity

Spooky

Non-member
I know everyone says there are no stupid questions but I feel this one at least borders on it. Do I really need the plasic center brace on my AGA 65 gallon tank? It doesn't seem to be very strong and it's directly under my metal halide, effectively blocking a good deal of light from my tank. Does the center brace have a great deal to do with the overall integrity of the tank? Would removing it cause the sides to bow and later break? Should I just deal with my light being partially shaded and plan around it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I'm completely open to criticism over the idiocy of this question.
Thanks,
Spooky

The brace absolutely helps hold your tank together. It keeps the center from bowing out which will stress the seems and cause them to eventually blow. I would recommend getting a second halide and putting one on each side of the tank. Many people in the past have had their center braces snap due to a halide being centered over it. The heat from the halide weakens the plastic and it gets very brittle. BTW, not a stupid question :D

you can also remove the center brace as long as you replace it (otherwise you risk bowing/breaking of the glass) if you do a search on here for center brace, there are lots of threads on it. i personally removed the brace on my 46 bowfront and replaced it with plastic coated steel cable. make sure you use clamps or something to hold the tank at the same width- you don't want that to change, or the whole process is pointless!

center

I have a 37gallon; I replaced the center brace with a ?? aluminum strip. I used SS rivets to make the t shape and SS screws to hold it in place. With it being only 3/4" wide the light fills in the shade from both sides.

Last edited:
How long should I be able to keep my halide over the center brace before it starts to wear it out? Couple weeks? Couple months? The light is on the mounting legs not hanging so it's pretty close to the center brace. Just bought my light fixture (coralife pro) and I don't know what I would replace it with. If I could find a 36" fixture with 2 halides instead of one I'd buy it, just haven't found one.

How many watts are you looking for in the 36" fixture? I have a outer orbit light 36" with 2x 150 hqi plus 4 t5 with lunars also. I am selling the light and is still available and posted on the equipment forum.

Spooky,
I too have a middle brace that sits above my center metal halide. I have the lights about 11 inches above the brace. I have not had any problems with it so far and it has been about 3 months. I have left my brace in place. But I would be interested in hearing ideas about removing it. I know that something else needs to go in its place. I have seen tanks without a middle brace bowing big time.

Scott

I think I'll raise the light 12" and put that alluminum max used over the brace to act as a heat sheild. I'll also run 2 3" or 4" fans.

Who makes good quiet fans?

I looked them up and I'm unsure if there is a pronged plug at the end of the cord. It says 12V transformer included. But does that have a way to plug it in?

Back