tank leak???? Please help a buddy out..... :(

ReefKeeper1699

Non-member

I am in a big panic guys!!! I am getting salt creep all along the bottom left side molding. It's is all on the lip of it. I looked underneath and it's down there too. It's been going on for a while. Used to be dry and less.....now there is more and it's real wet and slushy.......what do I do?

Don't panic. Double and triple check for any possible way that water might be creeping down a power cord or anything else. Sometimes the top trim isn't fully sealed and splashes can eventually lead to a hint of water sneaking out from the top trim and collecting on the bottom trim.

Tank is 75 gallons. It is 4 years running from me but I bought the tank used with the holes in the back. Was empty when I bought it. Has light wood paneling molding under the wood I glued over it. Makes me guess tank itself is from the 80s?? 90s??

That is the more extreme version of what my 40B was doing - a little salt creep along the bottom seam (only the top on mine). Kept thinking it was maybe from somewhere else, a little water during maintenance, etc., then wiping it off and it would reappear. I just replaced the whole tank and used to opportunity to upgrade a little. If it is the seam, you will need to replace or totally reseal the tank. It certainly looks like the seam, coming out above and below like that. I'd be concerned the whole thing will open up along that seam and work on a plan to empty the tank before it does so. Mine was leaking for several weeks and never got any worse until I replaced it, but then again it wasn't coming from the bottom at all.

75g tanks are fairly easy to find used again, probably not worth re-sealing unless you are really confident in your skills in that regard.

Yes I need to replace the tank and of course my sand because I hear it's better to not stir it up after 4 years. Maybe I'll get a rimless and use an overflow? Anyone know where I can get a new tank reasonably prices? This one wasn't completely level on the floor would that make the issue?

Not being level can cause stress on some seams more so than others. I did see a whole 75 gallon set up for sale on the market place. Otherwise I know petco is doing their sale on April 1-3 you may be able to get a discounted set up or at be very least a 40 breeder for 40 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that to replace the tank but I think you can keep the stand.
Why do you have a hang-on-back skimmer while you have a sump?

Update** a buddy of mine saw my Facebook post about this. He is giving me a 150g tank setup. I'll grab pics of it. Tell me your thoughts

This is the 150 gallon setup my buddy is giving me. His friends wife left it in his garage after a bad divorce. He wants it out of his garage and I have to pick it up tomorrow.

Back