Tank mover(s) recommendations?

arch85

Non-member
Hey guys,

We're getting a new tank, and looking for some tank movers. It is an empty tank, but we would still prefer to go with someone who has moved aquariums before, because don't want all the plumbing to get messed up.

Also it's not just the tank but a whole bunch of plumbing and other equipment as well.

Anyone know of any dependable movers?

Thanks!!

You are on a site with people that have moved possibly 100 or more tanks each and that would do the work for beer and pizza... Dependable may be the only issue.

It's a 170 gallon glass tank, and is quite heavy. It was custom built for the person I'm getting it from. The move also entails moving "A LOT" of propagation bins along with a standard 120 gal glass tank from the basement, which is not most easily accessible.

I'd hate to put any of my fellow reefers through that; most def. need at least some movers with strong arms and legs to lift some of this stuff.

This recent development has put my Reefer's BBQ plans on hold for a little bit, but it'll def. happen this year :)

i dont know of anyone that has more experience doing this than the people you are talking to right now! I know some LFS do offer this type of service, but I would think that could get pretty costly. I'm sure for the right "price" you could entice a couple of us to help out on a Saturday/Sunday.

FWIW I've moved 3 established tanks between houses, and moved livestock between 5 different upgrades. All you need is a PLAN and some help, and it goes pretty smoothly. Just mix like 3 times as much water as you think you will need :)

i dont know of anyone that has more experience doing this than the people you are talking to right now! I know some LFS do offer this type of service, but I would think that could get pretty costly. I'm sure for the right "price" you could entice a couple of us to help out on a Saturday/Sunday.

FWIW I've moved 3 established tanks between houses, and moved livestock between 5 different upgrades. All you need is a PLAN and some help, and it goes pretty smoothly. Just mix like 3 times as much water as you think you will need :)

I won't be setting anything up -- just moving them from House A (seller) to House B (mine) :)

This is a relatively large propagation system along with Display Tank, that we'll have to take our own sweet time to setup with a LOT of plumbing and planning etc.

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting my own coral propagation and selling business with approx 800 gals water volume worth of equipment -- I do not want to advertise it yet because I don't want to break any BRS policies. Once everything is all said and done, I will try to be a BRS sponsor; if I get accepted, you guys will see cool stuff.

But yeah, if anyone is interested in helping, please shoot me a PM. Help def. appreciated and will be rewarded with as many pizzas + burgers + beers + drinks + anything you'd like to discuss.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Well in that case, I will be expecting a couple frags too! LOL If there are enough people willing to help, let me know when and I will see what I can do.

I have helped move lots of tanks and will just add the one thing that you do lose having members help rather than paying someone to do it is insurance. Doesn't take much for a hand to slip or someone to trip, then there goes your new tank. If you are willing to take that risk then I a'm sure there are plenty of people that will step up and help out.

I would get any insured movers. That way if it breaks they will reimburse you. My cousin moved and they broke cracked the glass top to his 46 bow and they reimbursed him $120. $120! For a glass top haha so better to go that route in my opinion.

Yeah, I hired some movers -- J&J movers -- they came to the place, 2 hours late (their morning job took longer than anticipated), looked at the fish tanks, and immediately didn't want to do the move lol. They made the excuse that the tanks were a hazard to health, and they can't move them; it would get their packaging materials dirty.

I was wicked disappointed because I have used them 4 times before for my regular moves. Oh well, I guess no more.

I have the move planned again with a different company this coming Sunday; hopefully this time all goes well. These guys are insured, but I'm not sure how much that really matters ... according to the contract they make you sign, they re-imburse you only $0.60/lb ... which doesn't really cover much. Unless you buy additional coverage, which I don't foresee myself doing ...

Back